Monday, September 10, 2018

Casual Elegant

On Monhegan, my dad and I made our own breakfasts, snacks, and lunches and ate them at our apartment at Tribler Cottage, but for dinner we walked the lane to the dining room at the Island Inn. In short order we learned how to snag the reservation that would give us the best chance at a window table overlooking the inn porch, the harbor, and Monhegan's little offshoot, Manana Island.

Dinner was an exquisite experience of 'casual elegant' each evening—with guests just a tiny bit dressed up, dark green bottles of artisan balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil perched on each table, an exhibit of Joan Harlow's oil paintings gracing the walls, windows open to the refreshment of sea breezes, and edible flowers bedecking each entrée.

---

A few edible flowers jumped ship to one of my watercolors.

The Air Smelled of Honeysuckle and Hay
7x9"; watercolor, ink, and water-soluble crayon on canvas paper
abstract floral
2018



12 comments:

Simone said...

Beautiful! I love edible flowers!
It's funny to see the word 'bedecken' showing up here. Bedekken is Dutch for 'to cover'. Never knew that word had found its way into English!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

This is such a sweet and lighthearted piece of art...

The description of time with your dad has me teary. So beautiful that you take the time to share these moments.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The edible flowers in our entrées were beautiful and delectable.

Fun to learn about 'bedekken'!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Mmm, yes, sweet and lighthearted—with this piece I was able to stay playful and untangled even when this or that didn't do what I wanted, and I didn't malinger; just what on to whatever was next that morning.

SUCH a gift to have time with my dad. I was born on his 24th bday in 1950 and I feel so fortunate to still have him as my dad, in a very active and connected way, alllllllll these many years down the road.

carol edan said...

Lovely work! You are so fortunate!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you. And, yes, I am.

Joany Kendra said...

Such a gift, indeed. I LOVE that you had the time with him on Monhegan, and love that you made us feel we were there, too. ❤️

Janet Bradish said...

What a wonderful time to have with your Dad. Your description is so vivid I feel like I am there with you both. So glad you have shared with us.

Love this painting - and the title. Lovely post Dotty.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Joje, grateful for every bit of it, and glad I could let you tag along through my various tales of our time on Monhegan.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Janet. My dad and I had a great time on Monhegan, he with layers of past visits woven in and I with beginner's eyes. Delighted that my descriptions were vivid enough that others got to share the island's gifts with us. Happy to hear you like this painting and its title.

Sheila said...

I am enjoying your trip almost as much as you are Dotty :) LOL wishing I could visit the island and see for myself :o) This is so JOY filled, and for some reason I see baby chicks rushing in to taste the colorful delights :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Marshmallow Peeps, looking for something other than a sugar fix!!! Love what your eye picks up on, Sheila!

Glad joy is shining through this painting; glad you've been enjoying your tieat Monhegan!

Post a Comment