Thursday, September 13, 2018

Never Gets Old

Below, a current bookmark-to-book matchup that is sooo satisfying—I made the art as a monchromatic collage exercise for a downloadable Jane Davies workshop (Keys to Dynamic Composition) back in January 2016. Loved it then, love it now!

custom fit
I've been needing a good hand-painted red bookmark ever since I lost a previous favorite a year or two ago, presumably passing it along as an unwitting gift to the next reader of a book I returned to the library. So, today I grabbed one of the three pieces into which I cut yesterday's work-in-progress, and now I've got me a fine and dandy new red bookmark. Can't wait to see what book it first aligns itself with.

Never gets old, this love affair with bookmarks!

A Sleeve of Strawberry Candy
1.5x5.5"; acrylic, India ink, collage, and oil pastel on watercolor paper
abstract bookmark
2018

10 comments:

carol edan said...

Find a book to match my bookmark... make a bookmark to match my book!
Love those snips of paper and words. So much going on in such a small piece. LOVE!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for your enthusiasm! I took such pleasure in creating "Sleeve." I love painting with snips and tears of print text, using it to create contrast, complement, value, and highlight. I continue to be fascinated by creating composition in confined 'real estate' such as a bookmark.

Simone said...

OOOh, this is great, that yesterday's 'red pillar' becomes a bookmark!
I never have made a bookmark myself, but it is a terrific idea! I always use old scraps of paper that are lying around somewhere. But it's so much more uplifting to see something beautiful in your book!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, there are so many wonderful aspects of handpainted bookmarks! I hope to write a post about that topic. Stay tuned : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

I am a HUGE fan of your bookmarks! Holy cow. Tiny masterpieces with a purpose. It doesn't get better than that!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, perfect précis: "tiny masterpieces with a purpose"—that is precisely why i am so enamored. handpainted bookmarks honor the poet and the pragmatist in me. So happy to have you as a HUGE fan : )

Sheila said...

Never gets old for me too, seeing your bookmarks :) This is just lovely :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila. It was satisfying to bring this one around after some intermediary visual problems raised their heads.

Janet Bradish said...

Ditto all of the above - great art with a a good read!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I do love to tease out matchups of great art and good reads, an engaging pursuit and so satisfying when realized!

Post a Comment