Friday, December 16, 2022

Serendipity and Grace

Back in August I created a hand-painted, self-folded 'sketchbook,' whipped up a partial design for its cover, and proceeded over the course of a few days to rustle up experimental content for the first two of the sketchbook's three two-page spreads.

I ran out of steam for the last spread. No ideas presented themselves for consideration. I pondered and wondered and mused and kept myself open to forward motion. Nothing.

So I propped the book up on a countertop in my studio to allow for percolation. The book ended up traveling to new locations. Still nothing. It eventually got tucked into a folder and placed in a drawer.

Then, four months down the road: something!



It Is Up to You to Recognize Help When It Arrives
4.5 x 6" two-page sketchbook spread; acrylic, ink, and oil pastel
abstract
2022


6 comments:

carol edan said...

First, viewfinder is working! YAY! Can open in new window! YAY! Love your positioning. Good solution!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I second your yay! Thanks for feedback on positioning. It pleased me to play with found compositions, reorientation of directionality, accommodating the fold in the sketchbook, and letting two separate projects hold hands.

Sheila said...

Fun, Fun, Fun! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

thanks, thanks, thanks, Sheila!

Simone said...

I went back in your blog, to the sketchbook-idea. What a marvelous idea! The perfect background for your new art.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The sketchbook idea stretched me. The making of the sketchbook itself was quick and easy but filling pages that already had paint and weren't 'blank' presented engaging challenges. I now have all three inside spreads in place, and a cover with a neurographic drawing. I'm debating whether or not to add anything to the front cover …

Post a Comment