Thursday, December 15, 2022

For the Record

If I post a painting here, with a title, with its size and media specs, and with a date, it will implicitly and explicitly announce itself as a completed painting. You will most likely see it as a completed painting. You will like it or not. You might click on it to put it in viewfinder mode so you can get an in depth view of its nooks and crannies. Your eye might explore for a bit of time, or for more than a bit of time. Then you'll move on till I post again with either a new work in progress or new completed painting.

I'm going to post a piece here today as a completed painting. I want a record of it as it is right now, because it could be complete, if I say so.

Well, and if it says so. But it keeps telling me it is not. Even though it isn't telling me specifically what step to take, it is asking me to risk 'wrecking' it by doing something. I'm going to have to figure that out by a process of making changes and taking chances.

For right now, though, I present to you



Open for Business
11 x 14"; acrylic, ink, and oil pastel on paper
abstract
 2022

8 comments:

carol edan said...

First it didn't go into "viewfinder" mode! :(. Sometimes opening in new window gave me a bigger view, nada! Love the connections and various pathways. I think it's working in spite of all the activity!

carol edan said...

Just opened another post and all worked! Is blogger acting up again? Plus and Minus. Could open in new window and open in viewfinder!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, the vagaries of Blogger are beyond my ken, providing repeat opportunities to be with what is. And that is all I have to say about THAT! Thanks for your feedback on the connections and many pathways in this piece. I set out to practice a bunch of subtraction, and accomplished that but, of course, also gave way to considerable addition!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Grateful for those signs of function!!!

Sheila said...

I just saw the after, before this before. Haha. Though i had my tabs in order. Weeee! This is such a fun roller coaster ride! Weeeee! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, LOVE that you see roller coaster ride energy and abandon in this piece! Makes me laugh because one of the few but enduring 'lessons' my mom imparted was that we were NEVER to trust amusement park rides : )

Simone said...

In the meantime, I believe you have cut this up (to the bookmarks, isn't it?). But I like this one in its entirety too! I never like comparing one artwork to the other, but this has the same vibrant playfulness as the works of (in my eyes) for instant Hundertwasser or Niki de Saint Phalle have.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Yes, you're correct in thinking I have since cut this up (oh the places it'll go!) but, like you—thank you!—I like it in its entirety, too, which is why I gave it a title and a post and a chance to strut its stuff in its entirety before I honored its invitation to keep playing with it. Speaking of invitations, thank you for introducing me to the vibrant playfulness of Hundertwasser and Niki de Saint Phalle!

Post a Comment