Friday, February 11, 2022

Behind the Curtain

The Wizard of Oz told Dorothy to "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain" in an effort to distract her and keep his true identity from being revealed but, hey, let's go behind the curtain anyway! 

I love me some art history.

Accordingly, I pull back the curtain to reveal the emerging identity of the painting I posted yesterday, exposing a few of the stages involved in getting to what it eventually became:







Wrangling with Ideas and Romping Through Possibilities

As I wrangled and romped with this painting I became my 5-year-old self—sneaking off the bed where I was supposed to be napping, losing myself in make-believe, playing on a highly textured colorful hand-hooked accent rug. Do you know the kind of rug I mean?
















8 comments:

Sheila said...

A rug? AWESOME! I did that once with brownies (Girl Scouts). A very small patch. What fun! :) Thoroughly enjoyed this visit behind the curtain. A nap, who needs a nap! Haha. (me please)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

By all means, indulge in a nap. Or six. I'm taking note with respect and wonder that you have been painting every day, responding to comments at your blog, and commenting at other blogs. I assume naps are a part of the mix : )

Simone said...

What a lovely experiment!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Simone. I'm beginning to realize EVERYthing I paint is an experiment!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

holy macaroons! I love seeing this behind the curtain view!!! WOW WOW WOW!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Holy macaroons, indeed! I write these art-history posts to help me keep moving in each painting I undertake. Like the amnesia of the travail of childbirth, I seem to forget from one painting to the next what the process often involves for me. Gotta breathe into those contractions, ya know?

carol edan said...

The transformation is amazing!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Hard won, that transformation—I appreciate your amazement, Carol!

Post a Comment