Tuesday, June 30, 2020

Streetable #8

It used to comfort me, 
as a little girl, 
to look at my mother’s jewelry. 
I used to try on 
the heavy gold bracelets, 
the pearl necklaces, 
the rings, 
all at once. 
I liked pinning the brooches 
in a line down my chest, 
the fabric of my shirt 
sagging from the weight.

Elizabeth Berg, Open House



"All You Need Now, Edith, is Lipstick," Little Bear Said
4 x 6" postcard; acrylic, ink, fabric paint, and collage
abstract
2020

before Edith and Little Bear discovered
the beautiful dressing room with the big mirror


6 comments:

carol edan said...

Was there ever a little girl that didn't dress-up? I fondly remember my daughters dressing up with my grand-mother's things on the balcony of the hotel over-looking the sea!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The memory of dressing up presents such an evocative mental experience, doesn't it? Glad your shared memories of your own, Carol. Thanks!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

I want to meet Edith and Little Bear! They have a fabulous sense of style. :) I am always delighted by how the small changes you make in the last step take something from amazing to awe-inspiring!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

oy! This one gave me a run for my money, but once I stopped fighting its being overworked and found space in me to accept that, tiny little bubbles of inspiration rose to the surface and nudge me along. And Edith and Little Bear came to mind. Here, you CAN meet them: . My sisters and I owned this book when we were preschoolers, listened to it countless times and went through the pages even more times, and we haven't forgotten it : )

Sheila said...

JOY! This post, your art, your titles. My memories of my grandmother and her huge sparkling jewels crowding the top of her dresser. Of course they were "paste", but I didn't know it. Haha :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, such fun for me to be evoking memories in others and then getting to hear about huge sparkling jewels of yore : )

Post a Comment