Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Washed / June 26, 2026

Washed

on roof and skylight,
night rainfall a clatter-tap
tattoo lullaby
.

outdoors, come morning,
trees clean, street sweet, air in pray’r
with chanted matins
.

—dotty seiter

=====

=====

Notes about poem and art
• This untitled poem comprises a pair of haiku, each of which could stand alone but which I experienced back to back when rain fell volubly right up until wake-up time and then offered a welcome and unexpected window for walking before resuming for the rest of the day. As is typically the case, I took pleasure in working and working ’till I could both express exactly what I wished to say and fulfill traditional haiku syllabic constraints; I love the way that challenge pushes me to play with language.
New Day is a simple mood-mini created while talking with my sisters as we sat together in May on the sizable front porch of a big old rental “cottage” (think three storeys with turret on the front right corner) overlooking Long Island Sound.

=====

9 responses to “Washed”

  1. Your poem brought to mind the rains we have here, will have to wait till October, rain in the night, the smell in the morning and a sunny day!

    Bright and happy times! May you have many more!

    Like

    1. Carol, loved that my poem brought to mind the kind of rains typical where you live, though you’ll have to wait till October to reacquaint yourself with them.

      Bright and happy times! May you also have many more : )

      Liked by 1 person

  2. I love knowing you have a play date with words…..until you get them just right. I have a skylight in my bedroom…so this poem resonates with me. It’s raining right now actually and I may putter in my bedroom so I can hear the clatter-tap. And there’s nothing better than a morning after a night of rain!

    A Sisterfest doodle! Yes! The picture in my mind of you all in that three storey cottage is so fabulous. As is your doodle!

    Like

    1. Thanks for your appreciation of my play dates with words where I take joy in getting the dotty-plus-words collaboration to a point of satisfaction. I know you know the same joy in your own creative activity.

      Rain on a skylight or roof: gotta love it!

      The three storey cottage turned out to be quite wonderful. A lovely place for sitting on the massive porch overlooking the water and doodling in the company of my sisters : )

      Liked by 1 person

  3. I adore this stacked haiku! And the art….and the visual of a turretted cottage! ha ha!

    The rains have returned here after a long, hot dry spell, and we’re delighted to have it. Wildfire season is coming! The rain is so welcome. xoxoxo

    Like

  4. “Stacked haiku”—great descriptor! Add to your visual of the cottage with a turret, a front staircase, a back staircase, and an elevator. It was quite a cottage!

    Happy to hear your long, hot dry spell has been broken by rains. We are much in need of rain ourselves. We get it in fits and starts, including a short forceful deluge last evening which made our passage on a highway intermittently perilous, but not yet enough to end drought conditions that have existed for two years now in our area.

    Like

  5. I love your word challenge. So much better than word salad. LOL.

    It reminded me of dreams I have had. Old neighborhoods, shiny from a fresh fallen rain. Places I love, & fond memories.

    Like

    1. Sheila, thanks for letting me know that my stacked haiku reminded you of dreams you’ve had, old neighborhoods, places you love, and fond memories. Mission accomplished at my end in evoking memories : )

 

No comments:

Post a Comment