Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Thinking in Wrinkles / June 22, 2026

Thinking in Wrinkles

oh my gosh, the best what-if ever

wait till you hear this:
what if my life—my “own” life—
is actually none of my business?
i have to repeat the question:
what if my life
is none of my business?

could it be so?
i am wildly curious,
gloriously radically
alive with wonder.

—dotty seiter

=====

=====

Notes about poem and art:
• Sometime last year the concept of our lives not being any of our business found its way to me—don’t remember who, when, where, what context other than that I think the person communicating the idea was a spiritually awakened individual whom I trusted. My whole self went into high alert with excitement, and “oh my gosh” became the expression of my wild curiosity.
• Sarah Schroeder’s session during Sketchbook Revival Challenge 2026 earlier this year entitled Mindful Crinkle Art inspired Gloriously Radically. The process: crinkle a piece of paper gently, smooth it out again, trace fold-lines with ink, and add color, all in whatever way and to whatever extent you are so moved. You can be deliberate or random at any point. You’re done when you want to be done. I enjoyed the process tremendously and am delighted with the outcome!

=====

 

9 responses to “Thinking in Wrinkles”

  1. Your poem poses such a deep philosophical context. If it’s not my business than should I take care of it! Or except what comes comes! Have to give it much thought.

    I remember that session ! Did you crinkle the canvas or transfer. So colorful and alive! I love how you integrate techniques . Must give it try!

    Like

    1. I don’t know what to make of the notion that my life might be “none of my business” but I remain wildly curious and called to explore the possibility!

      I crinkled the piece of unstretched canvas itself. It wasn’t particularly crinklable but that seemed to work well for me, leaving me with fewer fold lines than paper does. The piece above along with one from my house series were made weeks ago; when was that sketchbook challenge—April? I do want to play with crinkle art again.

      Thanks for sharing with me that you appreciate how I integrate techniques!

      Liked by 1 person

  2. What an interesting concept….I’ll have to ponder it a bit. I do believe that there are things beyond our control…and they can lead to unexpected outcomes and being surprised by joy. And it’s a big YES about having wild curiosity. Love the crinkled paper lesson….and your piece has just enough color and just enough neutral. Where the lines landed was none of your business…..until it was time to paint them. Perfect title…by the way.

    Like

    1. Plenty to ponder. I appreciate your thoughtful responses to my poem, MaryAnn, with your mention of things beyond our control, unexpected outcomes, being surprised by joy, and having wild curiosity.

      I’m also delighted by what you picked up on when looking at my crinkle art—you shone light on precisely what my inquiry was about, i.e. how much color and where, how much neutral and where, how to use the lines. Thanks!

      Liked by 1 person

  3. Can you see me jumping up and down???? EXCITEMENT! Your poem and its concept are blowing my flipping mind! I have always believed that “what other people think is none of my business” (as hard as that is), but MY OWN LIFE? Whoa. I will be contemplating for weeks.

    And the crinkle art feels so joyful – a summer solstice celebration! xoxo

    Like

    1. I see you jumping up and down!!!! Isn’t it just the most unexpected and inviting idea to contemplate? Yeah, whoa.

      The crinkle art was way fun to paint—right at the crossroads of simple and challenging. Happy to hear it feels joyful and summer solsticy : )

      xoxo

      Like

  4. Hmm. None of my business. Very interesting idea. That takes some thinking.

    I love Radically Alive. WOW! Those colors are really speaking to me. The linces, the black and white. The pops of purple. The warm hues and the sunny greens. Juicy, summery, fun! :o)

    Like

    1. No thinking needed; it’s none of your business hahaha! Yes, a very interesting idea indeed.

      Sheila, thanks for basking in the lines, the b&w, the pops of purple, the warm hues, and the sunny greens with me. I had such a great time painting this one.

      Liked by 1 person

No comments:

Post a Comment