Thursday, March 25, 2021

All By

Today I'm mindful of my older granddaughter Caroline's former oft-used toddler assertion of independence, all by! 

In cahoots, I think, with the same part of me that wanted to assert its independence yesterday, All-By yammers at me this morning. I go to my studio again with the idea of creating a multi-layered intuitive organic piece on paper from which I'll cut found compositions to use as postcards. My thought is to start with random mark-making.

All-By gets her own idea and wrests the paper from me insisting, all by! What emerges is of course not at all what I'd planned but I put up no resistance. All-By wanders from spot to spot in the house adding snippets of blind contour drawing and patches of doodles. Ends up with this:

work in progress,
9 x 12"; blind contour and doodles on paper


All-By looks at me; I look at All-By. 

All-By keeps the reins. No way is she going to add layers that cover the blind contour mark-making. Cut this into six rectangles, she states. Then go outdoors for a walk. I've got this.

Pulling Out a Slim Volume of Poetry
4 x 5.5" postcard; acrylic and ink on paper,
mounted on card stock
abstract floral
2021


8 comments:

carol edan said...

Don't you just LOVE "All-By"!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I do, I do, I do!

And I am lighting up to see you here. what a heart-opening way for me to begin my day! Shalom.

Simone said...

No resistance - that seems to be the key ;-)! It's a miracle.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, I love how you found the two most important words in my post —— 'no resistance.' Yup, a miracle. Thanks for commenting.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

All-By!!!!! And effortless surrender to the muse...you inspire me, lovely artist human!

Sheila said...

LOVE! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

THANKS! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Well, surrender. Though perhaps not effortless!

Happy I am to inspire one by whom I am inspired again and again and again : )

Post a Comment