Thursday, February 4, 2021

Faces 14

I have a fierce urge to shove this guy out in high winds to rough up that mop on his head—he is in desperate need of a hair out of place!

I'm laughing to myself as I realize this is not the first time I've had an urge to take charge of someone else's hair. Years ago I tutored an engaging bright boy who was middle school age. For the two or three years I worked with him he sported a 'rattail' hairstyle, a style characterized by a long thin braid growing downward from the back of his head. Can't tell you how many times I fantasized pulling out a pair of shears and snipping off that 10" braid! It was just begging me to make mischief!


The Friend Who Signs Every Single Photo
of Himself in My Senior Yearbook
9 x 12"; acrylic, ink, oil pastel, pencil, and collage
on drawing paper
abstract face
2021
$45


messy middle flashback:

blind contour drawing 
on top of cool-colors chaos layer




10 comments:

carol edan said...

Has a "Trumpish" feel, maybe the blond hair and attitude! Your colors mixes are fabulous, as well as the textures in the background and hair. Yes he does need a bit roughing!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Perhaps it was that 'trumpish' look that triggered me to want to rough up this guy's hair! Oh, such fun that you took note of my color mixing —— I got into lovely flow with the mixing : )

Simone said...

The first thing I thought indeed, was: This is Trump! (Like Carol ;-))

I had to laugh about the 'rattail'. In Dutch we call it a 'matje', meaning: 'little mat'. Rattail sounds more fun!

Last thing: I didn't know the word 'Shears'. In Dutch a pair of scissors is called: 'schaar'. Sounds more or less the same...

Simone said...

By the way, I LOVE your faces, and their titles, too!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'm laughing b/c I did NOT make the Trump connection, but I bet that's what was driving me nuts!

Glad you got a chuckle out of my wanting to snip off my student's rattail!

Delighted by the schaar/shears connection. I don't know the rules for use of the word shears but I think there actually are subtle cues for when to say scissors and when to say shears.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Simone! Painting these faces has been such a new painting direction and an experience of opening and learning. I've already sold two faces : )

Coming up with the titles stumped me a little until I figured out how I wanted to go about it. Each title represents an aspect of an actual friend, anywhere from my earliest childhood until the present, and I made a long list to choose from ahead of painting any faces. The blind contour drawings for the faces come from random images online so don't represent the friends named in the titles.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

This chiseled face and hair speaks of a whimsicalization of greek or roman statues! Perfect hair and cheekbones are all the rage in statuary.

And I admire your restraint with the rattail...I am not sure the scissors would have stayed out of my hands!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

omg, a whimsicalized greek or roman statue! I am clapping my hands with glee. YES! Jen, you've hit the nail on the head with your all-the-rage-in-statuary comment!!

LOL at your identifying with my itch to snip and at your not being sure you'd have exercised restraint!

Sheila said...

This kinda reminds me of Pete my Dad, in his Navy photo. Perfect golden hair. Hahaha. :) Dotty you are so fun! Cut it, cut it, cut it! Hahaha. Love seeing the underlings, and Mr. Perfect. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, love the evocation of Pete in his Navy photo with perfect golden hair!

Post a Comment