Wednesday, August 12, 2020

On My Nightstand, on My Easel (20)

 On my nightstand


If my nose were cut off 
I would have no memories. 
When I have lain awake all night 
and my eyes are finally closing 
I’ll get a whiff of something far off, 
from another year, 
another county ...
Sometimes there are only smells: 
the smell of chickens; 
the smell of Miss Finch’s stale breath 
and the hard candies by her bed, 
peppermint, 
all stuck together with the heat of her house; 
the smell of Matt’s math books 
where you crack the bindings, they’re so new; 
the smell of May in the kitchen 
frying the onions.

Jane Hamilton, The Book of Ruth


On my wall!




The Smell of Freshly Cut Grass Itching at My Nose
24 x 48"; acrylic, charcoal, pencil, oil pastel, and collage on canvas
abstract landscape
2020





8 comments:

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

ooooooooh WOW! This piece is fantastic!That gently sloping horizon line...the color blocking with texture...those reaching shapes taking us up and down and out and back. That light blue...my eyes keep resting there. Brilliant.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, I'm reveling in all your visual-language feedback. woo hoo! 'Tis especially gratifying to discover I'd created movement w/o making a conscious effort to do so and that I'd created a little light-blue rest station. I am delighted! Thank you.

carol edan said...

I am awe! Wow! Everything that Jen said and more! The spatial divisions, texture and color! Was so worth waiting for! A melody!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I'm cheering at your feedback! This piece was such an engaging process of unfolding. I began with no idea or intention, and finished with what felt like a surprise. Love that you referred to it as a melody!

Sheila said...

I want to walk-skip along that distant ridge, cool my feet in that beckoning blue, and finish the afternoon with a glorious nap in that fresh, sweet grass. The kid in my is laughing at these happy thoughts/memories. And my soul is at peace. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, if I'd written a novel, I'd ask you to write 'advance praise' copy for the back of the bookjacket —— thanks for all the evocative feedback! Music to my ears. (Have I mixed enough metaphors here?)

Sheila said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
dotty seiter: now playing said...

!!!

Post a Comment