Tuesday, September 29, 2020

Coming to Life (2)

The idea is 
to lose our life
to find it 
by losing our mind
to find it. 
For just this one moment,
live by and rely on the sufficiency
of the immediately available truth
as if you knew it was reliable.
That's when,
not before,
we feel this force beneath us.
We cannot feel its force
until we are relying on it utterly.

Polly Berrien Berends, Coming to Life


Before:



After:

God Is as Reliable as I Am Reliant
3.5 x 5.5" postcard; acrylic, ink, and collage on cardstock
abstract
2020


-----
Really had fun painting with collage here. The intuitive unfettered free-play exercised when creating the original sketch gave way to the satisfyingly focused detail-oriented color-matching and finishing I did just now, two years later. 



6 comments:

carol edan said...

Really amazing what a few pieces of collage text can do! How are getting along with the new platform?

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Carol.

I continue with the experiment of painting with print college. It fascinates me.

I am gradaully finding my way with the new blogger platform but I haven't reached a point of automaticity, ease, or pleasure with it yet. I still miss the old platform.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

losing to find...I love that, and will try to remember it when I am gripping things too tightly. The "God is..." piece is incredible. So much joyful movement! My eyes keep swirling around and around it.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Everything about life is a teacher of losing to find. Easier to get 'good grades' in school, it turns out, than to learn to lose to find in my daily living!

Thanks for appreciating the joyful movement in "God is."

Sheila said...

Amazing... it seemed like I was watching this bloom. Love the excerpt, love your title. Love that I am smiling in wonder :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, grateful for your amazement, your watching, your love love love, your smiling, your wonder. I join you in smiling wonder!

Post a Comment