Monday, December 17, 2018

Sure Enough

A poem from Ted Kooser's collection, Winter Morning Walks

December 17

Clear and twenty-four at sunrise.

A cold wind out of the west all night.
Where our row of Norwegian pines
lines the road, there were lots of joined pairs
of needles this morning, blown over the grass
and onto the shoulder, every pair
an elongated V, coated with frost,
and each pointing east-southeast,
where, sure enough, the sun was waiting.

I wish to be still enough to notice joined pairs of Norwegian pine needles blown over grass, present enough to notice that each pair points to where the sun is waiting.

And so I am setting an intention to slow way down. My unfinished paintings and I plan to hibernate for a bit, to step back and see what unfolds.

Then, in the new year, sure enough, we'll stretch our limbs, shake our sleepy heads, and take stock.

naptime


8 comments:

carol edan said...

What a beautiful poem! Just today I was babysitting and we were outside in the sun beneath the pine tree, lots of pairs of needles... but no frost! Have a wonderful hibernation and return with fired up batteries! For me, they look pretty much done! Gorgeous!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I love Ted Kooser's poetry. This one comes from his book Winter Morning Walks, and the poems are exquisite, one after the other.

Yes, fired up batteries is my intent : ) Thank you!

Simone said...

Enjoy your quiet wintertime, Dotty! It's good to hibernate every once in a while. I can relate to that. By the way, I love your paintings. They're beautiful apart, but I also like the big one as it was. See you!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, thank you for your kind wishes and affirmation of my choosing to give myself some quiet wintertime, and thank you for your feedback about my paintings. I'm curious to see where they might go.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Happy hibernating! A little slowing down would be good for the whole world. Would you arrange that, please? xo

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Jen.

Re a little slowing down for the whole world? I'm on it. xo

Sheila said...

Again you inspire by example. Rest. Yes.
Lovely post, and I agree. They look wonderfully done to me. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for your kind words, Sheila; if I inspire by example, I am paying forward what I have learned by the example of others.

These paintings don't feel quite done to me, but I'll see what I think after a long winter's nap : )

Post a Comment