Wednesday, October 28, 2020

Books and Bookmarks (3)

Re books:

Joe picked up the book, 

weighed it in his hands. 

“I could tell you this story, 

in a hundred words or less, 

and you’d forget it by bedtime.” 

He leaned toward Rusty 

and lowered his voice, 

as if he had secrets to share. 

“Or you could read a couple hundred 

thousand words instead 

and never forget the story 

as long as you live.”


Lauren Wolk, Those Who Favor Fire 


Re bookmarks:

Hand-painted bookmarks dazzle me with their intrinsic freshness factor!

Someone like Malcolm Gladwell might know what the frequency/infrequency calculus is regarding what keeps a piece of art fresh and new and impactful when you see it repeatedly. I do not, but I do know experientially that hand-painted bookmarks stay fresh and impactful for me. When any given bookmark is doing its job, it catches my wonder each time I open a book-in-progress to read. Then it catches my eye again as I mark the place between later pages when I stop reading. It never becomes over-familiar. I love that freshness factor! 



No One Else, Anywhere, Anytime,
Has Ever Read This Book
2 x 6" bookmark; acrylic and oil pastel on paper
abstract
2020
sold


8 comments:

Sheila said...

LOVE! :)

carol edan said...

It's like having a painting at our finger tips! Marvelous! You also see it in new light, like a painting from months or years ago... wow did I do that?

dotty seiter: now playing said...

THANKS, Sheila! : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Exactly, an in-hand gallery with a spotlight on a single painting. Thanks for your appreciation, Carol.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

omg, I am looking at THIS VERY BOOKMARK in my hands right now. And let me say, it is FRESH! And I can hardly wait to admire it every time I open the book it rests in. I am a HUGE FAN of the bookmark art! It is exquisite!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

W - O - O H - O - O !!!!! So much fun to read your commment, Jen! In what book is "No One Else" currently residing?

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

"No One Else" is currently residing in Come, Thief - a book of poetry by Jane Hirshfield. What a perfect place for this little beauty!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I've just added that title to my to-read list. thx, Jen!

Post a Comment