Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Books and Bookmarks (2)

Re books:


You can tell 

she’s really good at reading 

no matter where she is 

or what’s happening around her. 

There’s this look on her face 

like she’s not there at all, 

she’s gone wherever 

the book takes her.


—Rodman Philbrick, Max the Mighty



Re bookmarks:


Here’s another thing I like about a hand-painted bookmark: its beautility! A bookmark is an exquisite marriage of beauty and utility. It has an immediate chance to broadcast its beauty—it doesn’t languish, waiting to be purchased; it doesn’t end up stuffed in a drawer or box, neglected or forgotten. I can do the equivalent of putting it on display instantly. Not only that, but also it has a practical job to do and gets busy doing it the moment the paint dries, snuggling cozily for short naps between the pages of whatever book I’m reading, all the while holding my place with an expectant eye half open and its whole self ready to radiate creative expressive energy all over again when I reopen my book. The best!



When I'm Reading, Wherever I Am,
I'm Always Somewhere Else
1.75 x 5.5" bookmark; acrylic and collage on paper
abstract
2020
sold



11 comments:

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

beautility! What a great word! And YES! Another amazing thing about these exquisite little paintings. I so cherish mine. xo

Joany Kendra said...

I love how a good book can totally transport you somewhere else, leaving you completely obvious to your surroundings. What fun to have bookmarks match the book!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Isn't beautility such a wonderful word! Can't believe I never concocted it till now! Love that you cherish your bookmarks, Jen!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'd be a goner during covid constraint conditions without books, and a bookmark matching a book is a pièce de résistance!

Joany Kendra said...

I hope you realized ‘obvious’ was supposed to be ‘oblivious!’

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Amusingly, auto-incorrect's insertion of the wrong word wasn't OBVIOUS to me at all; as I read your comment, my brain auto-corrected, all the while OBLIVIOUS to the fact that it was even doing so!

Sheila said...

HA! LOVE that word! Love the JOYs you share with us. Infectious! Love your love for art in all it's forms :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, you are an outstanding cheerleader. Thank you! You've been cheering me on for five years now : )

Joany Kendra said...

Love your response!!!

carol edan said...

Oh to travel through the magic pages to unknown lands! "When I'm Reading, Wherever I Am,
I'm Always Somewhere Else" Magic!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for your enthusiasm, Carol. It's been fun to have this series of posts strike such a chord with my followers : )

Post a Comment