Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Last Seen at the Paper Trimmer

Last seen at my paper trimmer, each member of this series developed with quick intuitive touches of paint, ink, and oil pastel.

I sat with each until a title fell into place, then framed them and snapped photos (photographing art that's under glass? oy).

You Know What Is So and What Is Not
8 x 10" in 12 x 16" birch frame; acrylic, ink, collage, and oil pastel
abstract
2018
Everything That Happens to You Is Your Teacher
8 x 10" in 12 x 16" birch frame; acrylic, ink, collage, and oil pastel
abstract
2018
Sit at the Feet of Your Own Life
8 x 10" in 12 x 16" birch frame; acrylic, ink, collage, and oil pastel
abstract
2018
See for Yourself How the Light Strikes the Ground
8 x 10" in 12 x 16" birch frame; acrylic, ink, collage, and oil pastel
abstract
2018

10 comments:

carol edan said...

Have to learn to use my trimmer in such an artistic way! WOW do those look stunning? Do you use ready made frames with standard mattes?

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Carol. Pretty amazing, don'tcha think? The fun of this kind of process for me is that I am pretty much loose, playful, light of heart, and open in all the first layers. Then I chop, in this case with no more 'artistic' thoughtfulness than to cut into quarters, but look at the compositions that emerged! Then I did some quick intuitive refining with ink, pastel, and paint. Very enjoyable from one end to the other.

In answer to your question, yes, ready-made frames with standard mats. Oh, that reminds me: since each piece of this series was 9x12 and mat openings were 8x10 I was able to further refine the compositions by fiddling with where I placed the mat over the painting before securing it.

Simone said...

They look beautiful together! I love the idea, and I'm going to try it out myself!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Simone! Go for it!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

what a beautiful series! And way to go on the photography. Art under glass is a BEAST!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Jen. Glad you like the series, and appreciative of your affirming the BEASTliness of photographing stuff under glass : )

Janet Bradish said...

lovely series and the framing goes perfectly!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Framing is relatively new to me, Janet, so I'm especially appreciative of your affirming feedback : )

Sheila said...

Awesome work with the mats and frames. Complimentary, and they allow the work to shine ;) And they do shine! These titles sound very Richard Bach to me... love them all :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

One of my first forays into mats and frames, so I'm grateful for your feedback, Sheila. Thanks for seeing the shine in these pieces and their titles.

Are you getting much chance to paint???

Post a Comment