Saturday, September 19, 2026

Courses of Life / August 17, 2026

 

Courses of Life

with flashing yellow wings and bold black striping 

bright canadian
tiger swallowtails puddle

in the new topsoil
watered by jerry
and renée. butterfly boys—
hot for nitrogen,
organic matter,
and salts—swarm, flutter, and flit,
soon to woo the gals.

—dotty seiter

=====

=====

Notes about poem and art:
• “flashing yellow” is another one-stack triple haiku, this one celebrating Canadian tiger swallowtail butterflies who entranced us all as they offered up quite a show in our vacation neighborhood in early June.
A Poet’s Ear, a Teacher’s Know-How sounds kinda like a verbal self-portrait, don’tcha think?!

=====

8 responses to “Courses of Life”

  1. Your poem captures that magical moment with the Canadian swallowtail butterflies! Don’t you just love those unexpected shows Mother Nature provides?

    Love your little “self-portrait” tile piece!

    Like

    1. I do love those unexpected shows provided by Mother Nature! I enjoyed researching Canadian swallowtail butterflies and discovering that they were “puddling” and what drove that behavior.

      Thanks for appreciating the “self-portrait” hahaha : )

      Liked by 1 person

  2. Not knowing anything about this species of butterflies I had to look them up, mainly because I asked myself…. how did Dotty know if they were male or female…..so wikipedia to the rescue…. What beautiful butterflies! A man’s world!

    Great to be able to click and see your work on my computer! Yes, very much a “self-portrait”! Each little square has its own personality held together with the lovely linework.

    Like

    1. Perhaps needless to say, Dotty had to look all this butterfly info up also. I had noticed a few butterflies (whose name I didn’t know) while out walking while on vacation, but then had the surprise and delight of witnessing a swarm of them on the property next door. I took to the internet and learned all sorts of wonderful details : )

      Glad I was able to figure out how to facilitate clicking to see an enlargement at my blog—more research, and I thank you for spurring me on, Carol! Thanks for your feedback re this tile’s being very much a “self-portrait,” and for commenting on the linework. I’m so glad my muse nudged me to take that simple but effective step.

      Liked by 1 person

  3. hot for nitrogen – sounds like a bit of flirtatiousness! oh, today I am a bit hot for nitrogen… Your poem and the art ( a self-portrait INDEED) brought a big smile to my day!!! And now I shall fan myself after all this sultry butterfly flirtation. xoxoxo

    Like

    1. Totally loving and laughing at your steamy response! Indeed: a bit hot for nitrogen!

      This butterfly flirtation is no small thing, ya know?

      Thanks for fully embracing (wink wink) my poem and art, Lola.

      xoxo
      Dotty

      Like

    1. Appreciate your applause, Sheila!

No comments:

Post a Comment