Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Scaredy Cat

I painted this 'chaos layer' on a page in my sketchbook with freedom and delight a couple of weeks ago.

Since then so much topsy-turvy going on here, what with Dave's knee surgery and challenging ongoing recovery, Caroline's being here and then not being here, driveway's being dug up for repaving, front entry and stairway's being painted and prepped for eventual wallpaper, carpeting's being installed, fall tutorial schedule's starting up, and driveway's getting its base coat put in place.

But, seriously, all of that is nothing. 

It is piffle.

What's really going on is my own inner paralysis. I notice my hesitation, my resistance to the possibility of not 'liking' whatever I do next. I can't seem to get out of my own way.

And that is all I have to say!



work in progress paralysis
9 x 12" on paper


6 comments:

carol edan said...

Well, all I can say is that it is beautiful! Continue to PLAY and enjoy the PROCESSS and think less of the outcome!

Simone said...

I love the beautiful purple and green!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thank you for your encouragement! I'm responding to you before dawn. By day's end, this work in paralysis will have become a work in progress again because I intend to get PLAYING again : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone! So happy to see you here! Thanks for alerting me yesterday about the glitches that presented themselves when you tried to comment yesterday. Your input led me to make one change in my settings. And here you are now! Fingers crossed that the change in settings might open the door to others who have also run into cyber roadblocks here when trying to comment.

What a gift to get your feedback about the 'beautiful purple and green!' A spark of joy to start my day! I'm grateful!

Sheila said...

So lovely as is. Soothing and yet, lively as well. :) I faced that with my fabric design. Wasted two days "pretending" to start. But afraid I didn't know enough to do what I wanted to do. LOL. But it turned out not to be as difficult as my imaginings. Why is it always so easy to be hard on ourselves? With such a beautiful beginning, how can you possibly go wrong? And even if you do, you can always cover it up and no one has to know! Hahaha. Have fun Dotty! I can't wait to see what your fabulously talented brain comes up with! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila! Thanks for your insights and the balm of encouragement! I did move forward today and now, of course, I have created a messy middle from which I walked away in the late afternoon with a disproportionately heavy feeling of discouragement. Glad I knew to walk away. Came back this evening and I'm back to playfulness and engagement.

And, as you and I both know and you reminded me, no matter what, I can always cover it up and go somewhere new with it : )

Post a Comment