Tuesday, August 17, 2021

Composed

I don't always feel composed.

But a post by Jane Davies grabs my attention, lights me up, and gives me new fodder with which to think about composition.

“Throughout my process of painting, I am engaged in the act of composing. The visual elements and their relationships to one another change many times during the course of creating a painting. The composition is in constant flux until it isn’t. The composition of the finished painting (if it finishes, which not all my paintings do), is an unknown until it reveals itself through the process of composing.”

Life makes a mark; I respond. Throughout the process of living each day I am engaged in the act of composing, engaged in call-and-response, always in flux.

I don't always feel composed.

I am always composing. 

Yes.


The Friend Who Asks to Paint with You and
Drags You into Your Studio
4 x 5.25" postcard; acrylic, ink, oil pastel, and collage on card stock
abstract 2021


10 comments:

Sheila said...

Haha! I love your friend! And this lesson, always composing. A revelation and reminder. Who needs composure, with wild friends who invite you to create!? Enjoy Dotty :)

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

THIS! I am not composed, and yet I am composing. Yes, yes, YES! Nodding and jumping up and down.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

i really like the idea of composure as ongoing interaction with the universe rather than an achievable permanent 'thing' because, in fact, i think that's the truth of the matter! thanks for your comments, sheila : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

preCISEly: THIS! i am not composed, and yet i am composing. yes, yes. YES! couldn't have said it better myself … and didn't! jumping up and down with you, jen!

Simone said...

Lovely to see one of your 'faces', and thanks for the insight that I just got about the ongoing process of living and composing.

carol edan said...

Sorry I missed this. Feedio is sending their posts to my blog, will have to change the mail filter! Saw Jane's post! Thank you friend of Dotty!
Yes we need composure to compose, take something out, put something back!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, sorry to be late in responding to your comment which I am only now seeing because of cyber snags I don't understand. Thank you! Suddenly, there I was painting another face—AND thinking about living and composing : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Feedio is playing games on me that I don't know how to unravel. Frustrating.

I've been thinking a lot about composing lately and recognizing suddenly how the call and response of composing while painting is a potent spiritual teaching in living my daily life.

Thank you for commenting!

carol edan said...

Have you heard of Nancy Hillis? She has a nice theory called "Adjacent Possible" She does have something to say but can be a bit aggressive/overwhelming at times.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for making this connection. I'm familiar with Nancy Hillis and with the adjacent possible but hadn't made the connection to my thoughts on composing (paintings and life). I see now she has a new book! Perhaps I'll dip my toes back into Nancy's offerings!

Post a Comment