Monday, April 13, 2020

Bypassing "Ready, Set"

My attention span, activities, emotions, energy level, perspective, ability to focus: all scattershot these days.

And, by "these days" I don't just mean the past few weeks, I mean the past four months.

Looks like that's what's mine to work with. So that's what I work with!

When I returned from Virginia mid-February I was chomping at the bit to put a big ol' canvas on my easel and paint with broad strokes and bold movement. I work tiny and on paper way more typically than tremendous on canvas but I wanted L A R G E. I was so impatient I didn't even finish unwrapping the plastic from the canvas before grabbing paint and brush.

first pass on new canvas, 2/21/20
detail, first pass on new canvas, 2/21/20




8 comments:

carol edan said...

Good for you! We all seem to suffer with the same problems but you certainly had quite a lot on your plate. Hope your daughter is doing well! Love to dance in the garden can't wait to see what develops. Great start. I read, don't recall where, maybe a Genn newsletter, that its good to leave the studio with some new start. Then the next day you have a great starting out place and don't need to think "what will I do today" Will look for the letter.

Simone said...

Hi Dotty, I am curious how this one will evolve!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

This particular start was SOOOO satisfying, Carol. I had energy and supplies and there was no stopping me. However, in my case, returning the next day with a start in place left me, ironically, paralyzed because I was already attached and didn't want to take a new step!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I think I might do a retrospective, using my blog as a place to retrace and investigate the journey of this now completed-and-almost-ready-to-hang piece. Thanks for your curiosity and interest in unfolding.

carol edan said...

I totally relate to that problem.I am hoping that doing more in my new course will help me overcome. Suggestion, turn 90 degrees!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

thanks for suggestion; I sometimes do just that! but there can never be too many reminders (you might also relate to that!)

: )

Sheila said...

LOVE your lack of patience! LOVE your start. LOVE your sharing. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, LOVE your cheerleading!

Post a Comment