Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Peace Like a River

OK. At camp, longtime friend Stu asked if I'd make some paper mobiles like ones I'd made about ten years ago, this time for a show he's putting together entitled PRAYERS FOR PEACE IN PRINT, PAPER, AND PAINT. I said I would, we selected prayers from a collection he'd brought to camp, and home I went.

Yesterday I realized the show opens on Tuesday 5 September and, presumably, needs to be hung before then. I'd need to complete the mobiles and get them in the mail to Vermont as soon as humanly possible.

Oh!

Would my sister across town still have one of those mobiles sent as a birthday card a whole decade ago so I could use it as a prototype?

She would.


Without having to leave the house, would I be able to round up enough suitable paper to make five mobiles with 30 strips each?

I would.


Did I still have any of the spiral paper clips I purchased ten years ago to use as hangers and stabilizing weights, and would I be able to locate them?

I did, and I would.


Would I have enough white thread in my sewing machine?

I would.


Would I be able to choose peace instead of panic as my modus operandi for this project?

Yes!

One of the prayers:

Deep peace of the running wave to you.
Deep peace of the flowing air to you.
Deep peace of the quiet earth to you.
Deep peace of the shining stars to you.
Deep peace of the infinite peace to you.
                         —adapted from ancient Gaelic runes



Prayers for Peace

SEPTEMBER 5 THROUGH OCTOBER 29
     
OPENING RECEPTION
SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 10TH
2 TO 4 p.m.

West Village Meeting House
All Souls Church
29 South Street
West Brattleboro, VT 05301
802 254-9377



6 comments:

carol edan said...

They are absolutely lovely. Wish I could have found a and sent you a prayer in Hebrew, but then you would have had hard time writing them out. LOL I think I my cousin lives near Brattleboro.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Carol. The peace prayer mobiles turned out pretty cool, even with my approaching them with efficiency rather than creativity as my modus operandi! Copying out Hebrew wouldn't have fit my efficiency model!!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

WOW! These are so wonderful! And you rocked this mass, fast production, too! In the zone! You are an art athlete!!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for crediting my being an art athlete—I didn't participate in the camp triathlon but now I've done the next best thing!

Sheila said...

Never cease to amaze :) These are awesome, and I love the peaceful colors. Serene. You are related to Wonder Woman aren't you ;)
Joyful creating to you Dotty :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila. And thanks for your feedback re peaceful colors. I let go of a lot of my usual 'fussiness' in the interest of honoring Stu by completing the project I'd committed to and honoring myself by doing so with the greatest efficiency (and peace!) possible. Glad to hear that 'making do' with paper I had on hand rang true with you with regard to colors.

Joyful creating to you, too. Have you sorted out your computer woes yet? Are you gearing up for 30in30?

Post a Comment