Tuesday, July 21, 2026

Slow Drawing / June 5, 2026

 June 5, 2026

Slow Drawing

elusive

as if this time i’ll
experience deep stillness,
i draw a deep breath

dotty seiter

=====

Drawing a Deep Breath
3″ circle; ink on watercolor paper
Sketchbook Revival Challenge
2026

=====
Notes about poem and art:
• “elusive” and drawing a deep breath both arose from a session offered during Sketch Revival Challenge 2026 which acquainted me with Amy Maricle who is a proponent and practitioner of slow drawing. I felt an immediate strong pull to engage in slow drawing which in turn has reawakened in me a yearning to connect with stillness no matter what I may be “doing.”

=====

9 responses to “Slow Drawing”

  1. I also follow Amy because it helps ground me and bring me back to focus. Love your drawing, enlarged on my computer screen, almost looks like you drew it with embroidery thread! Brings me in with its gentle wave like movements!

    Love deep breathes! Breath in and out with a sign! Be here/now!

    Like

    1. Ooo, it’d be fun to replicate this slow drawing with slow embroidered hand-stitching. I could see myself doing that.

      Conscious breathing is a gift, yes?

      Liked by 1 person

  2. Love the duo meaning of drawing a deep breath! I have done several of Amy’s slow drawing lessons…..something I should get back into. Slowing down with any of our art practices can be meditative. Thanks for the reminder.

    Like

    1. MaryAnn! Thx for taking note of the duo meaning of drawing a deep breath—it informs both my breathing and my art.

      My post is reminding you to get back into slowing down with any of your art practices and now you in turn are reminding me I want to do more exercises akin to the one I’ve posted above. SO much more beneficial to me than, for example, scrolling around on the internet.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. Less scrolling…more making!

        Liked by you

  3. I see what you did there! Drawing…a deep breath! Fantastic! Isn’t it peculiar how we can literally forget to BREATHE during certain events, thoughts, activities…I sometimes catch myself holding my breath and wonder – what the heck? Deep breathing is a luxurious feeling. xoxoxo

    Like

    1. We would be NOWHERE without that deep breath, Lola! And you DID see what I did here: I drew a deep breath!

      Thanks for being part of the staying-alive-staying-alive-oo-oo-oo party! xoxo

      Like

  4. A deep breath. Ahh. Yes.

    I love your meditative slow drawing, Dotty. Thank you for sharing this calming post. ;o)

    Like

    1. Sometimes we need to switch over from autonomic to intentional breathing, ya know? Thanks for joining me, Sheila. There’s so much renewal in that shared space.

No comments:

Post a Comment