Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Decision Distancing

We're all well acquainted with physical distancing, that set of measures intended to prevent the spread of a contagious disease by maintaining a physical distance between people and reducing the number of times people come into close contact with each other. Thank you, COVID-19, for affording plenty of practice with that guiding principle. 

Then there's what I call decision distancing, that set of measures intended to prevent decision burnout by making one overarching decision with clear mental distance from a particular set of circumstances, and then sticking to the decision in the heat of any moment that puts one into close contact with the identified set of circumstances. If you want to cut back on desserts, don't do your decision-making with a piece of chocolate cake on a plate in front of you and a fork in your hand!

In the heat of a moment, late yesterday afternoon, in my studio, while I stood with paintbrush in hand, and work-in-progress in front of me, my gremlins started yammering. Ugly, ugly, ugly. You don't know what you're doing. This is stupid. Who has time for this nonsense? 

I was ready to throw in the towel. My chest was heavy, my mood horrible.

But I backed away, got a good night's sleep. This morning I reasserted—this time from a distance, away from my studio—my overarching decision to commit to daily painting, adding to the decision the words regardless of outcome

Whew! Much better.

Back to painting. Decision made. End of discussion.

Back to experimentation. Back to engaging with discovery. Back to attuning myself to the flow and therapeutic energy of process. Back to the physical act of playing with paint.


didn't like this postcard, got out the black gesso

buh-bye, red and green

wanted to play with blues, played with blues

happy hand with paint on it










6 comments:

carol edan said...

That's the way to go! One of the reasons that I LOVE oils and cold wax! The starts are all PLAY! Don't like something cover it over! Like your black mood. Love your blue mode which may be pink? who knows or cares.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for your encouragement, and your lived experience of PLAY and CHANGE and TRY THIS TRy THAT!

Sheila said...

LOVE your honesty and bold experimentation. :) PLAY! YES! Nonsense is FUN. Play is a good thing! Inspired as always, Dotty :)
Have fun!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I can see your pompoms shaking, your voice blasting through a megaphone as you cheerlead me on, Sheila! I'm remembering football games during my high school years:

A - C - T!
clap! clap! clap!
I - O - N!
clap! clap! clap!
ACTION ACTION WE WANT ACTION!!!

You inspire me in return with your shouts of PLAY! YES! NONSENSE! FUN! And with your affirmation of honesty and experimentation. That experimentation does not come easilu.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

this is such excellent advice - that inner voice tried to derail your commitment, but you showed it WHO IS BOSS! YES!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

It was a close call, I tell ya! Lola, thanks for your SUPPORT! YES!

Post a Comment