Wednesday, May 5, 2021

The Sweep

When I lived in the Netherlands, the folks in my neighborhood in the Hague swept their front paths and the sidewalk space in front of their homes regularly, with purpose and pride, keeping those walkways fresh, clean, and inviting.

So it is when I sleep. In the night, great sweeping takes place. The tracks of one day are swept away. I wake to the fresh, clean, inviting spaciousness of a new day and step into it.

Today, already—

a walk before dawn, 

rain pattering on my umbrella, 

a vast puddle, deeper than perceived, that only gets deeper as I aim to step out of it!,

nascent Japanese maple leaves kissing brand-new dogwood blossoms in Betty's shade garden,

the tying of red ribbon around a gift,

the sweet-tart pop of blueberries for breakfast.



We Are Going to Start Dealing With Feelings
by Deciding, Once and for All, To Just Do It
1.75 x 5" bookmark; acrylic, ink, and collage
abstract
2021


8 comments:

Sheila said...

What a gift you give! Sharing your morning with us. Delicious! Then, the POWer of colors. Warmth, Light!
And oh that title. WOW. To the heart of it.
Thank you Dotty :)

The Charmed Studio Blog said...

What an amazing, inspiring, grounding poem. Thank you for writing that and sharing it, Shiela is right, what a gift.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, good morning! And thank you! I was feeling so stuck, wanting to post on my blog, what to write, what to write. I went on about my business, turning my attention to what was in front of me, one thing after another, and then, the sweep! I knew what I had to say! Better yet, you knew how to listen and look! Again, thank you!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thea, thank you for receiving! What better than to turn my focus of attention to the gifts in front of me, and then have them become gifts to others? Nothing better!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Nightly sweeping....I adore this poem, Dotty. It was just exactly what I needed to see this morning. And the art - its title - perfection.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I think a HUGE broom is in order for tonight, maybe two sweepers! Very full day. Crazy as all get-out, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. So happy my poem was just exactly what you needed to see this morning and that the art and its title resonated : )

carol edan said...

Night sweeping and greeting the new day! What a beautiful thought! Your gift with words and paint is endless. The colors, patterns and textures and the title all perfect!

Simone said...

Dear Dotty,
Lovely to be back on your blog again, and thank you for your thoughts!

Post a Comment