Monday, December 21, 2020

Word(s) of the Day (10)

Today's words come from Ann Patchett's novel Commonwealth, words that sparked me to laugh out loud as I sat reading all alone in my otherwise silent home on a gray December Monday.


We went to a gas station over on Olympic. 

Not close but close enough. 

The guy who owned the place 

spent real money on his coffee 

and he taught all the kids who worked for him 

the importance of dumping it out 

and making a fresh pot. 

People would drive an extra couple of blocks 

to buy their gas from a guy 

who had good coffee. 

It wasn't like it is today 

where there's nobody to fill up your tank 

but you can get a goddamn cappuccino.



At the Edge of the Sound of My Footsteps
30 x 30"; acrylic, collage, ink, and oil pastel on canvas
abstract landscape
2020
$850

6 comments:

carol edan said...

Starry starry night! Earth waiting to produce her bounty! Love the contrasts, darks and lights, warms and cools, verticals and horizontals.
Merry Christmas and a Happy Healthy and Creative New Year!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I continue to appreciate your visual language. You pull me out of my self-referential lived experience of painting to take a more objective observational perspective. Grateful.

Here's to a happy haalthy creative new year to us all : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

oh oh! Love how this ended! That sky! Those rocky outcroppings and steps that invite me to explore it with my hiking boots...love the excerpt. It made me laugh!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, really fun for me to picture you out hiking the rocky gorge-ish landscape I've created. I can totally see you out there in your trusty hiking boots!

Glad you got a laugh out of the excerpt I shared. It definitely hit my cynicism funny bone : )

Sheila said...

For purple mountain majesty..... Glorious! And funny :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Sheila. And I'm glad you enjoyed the funny!

Post a Comment