Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Kapiti!

We used to have a mischievous and thoroughly endearing parakeet named Kapiti, one of whose habits was to nibble the edges of paper. In order to protect papers I needed in plain sight, I purchased a piece of clear acrylic 'glass' under which to place them.

Kapiti died many years ago and I lost track of that sheet of acrylic … until I did a round of deep decluttering a few weeks ago and rediscovered it! I had a grand time today using it as my palette to mix a color for the negative painting of this work in progress.

Oh my gosh, if Kapiti were alive now he would have an absolute field day in my studio—sitting on the ends of brushes for wild rides, walking across what I was painting, and chasing and pecking at brush bristles, all while narrating his activities in a chipper stream-of-consciousness monologue as I worked!

work in progress
new layer: acrylic on paper

8 comments:

Joany Kendra said...

Just think of all the foot prints Kapiti could have added to your paintings!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Exactly, Joje. Not only that but also all the footprints he would have left everywhere else, including my shoulder, after he walked across a painting-in-progress!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

awwww what lovely memories! I am imagining what gorgeous markings little birdie feet would make on the paintings...

dotty seiter: now playing said...

They'd be totally intuitive and spontaneous, that's fer sher : )

Am I remembering correctly that your dad had a bird?

carol edan said...

More scratchy scritchy marks in your negative spaces and more of that lt green in the patches... just perfect..YAY Kapite!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Carol.

Now I just need Kapiti to walk through some India ink and across this painting : )

Sheila said...

LOL, foot prints. Teeny foot paint prints. There is some serious 3dness going on here. Or maybe it is just my eyes. Ha ha ha. LOVE the abundance of irregular marks, and the play of darks and lights :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'm really wishing for actual paint-dipped kapiti-footprints on this painting; I think they'd be awesome and COMPLETELY spontaneous.

Sheila, thanks once again for your attention to the visual language of my art; your feedback is welcome and illuminating.

Post a Comment