Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Seeing

Practicing seeing elements of visual language, turning my attention to a work in progress that's maybe halfway to its eventual stopping place. Up to this point in the process, my intent has been to establish multiple layers that cover the canvas vs. to make a composition.

I notice:

• cool color palette
• predominantly matte paint, with black splatters of gloss
• black spatters mostly of similar size
• black spatters that create contrast
• a shadowy hint of the circumference of a circle whose diameter is about 2/3 the size of the canvas, located roughly in the center
• scribbly lines
• repetition of small mulberry squares throughout, all same size
• depth created by layering
• texture of canvas evident in varying degrees
• no particular directionality

work in progress
6 x 6" canvas board


4 comments:

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

You've created a deep and delicious library of visual elements here! I am simply giddy waiting to see where you go with this! I adore your process. xo

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, thanks for your warm enthusiasm. SO much competing for my attention outside my studio—working hard to hold trust that patience is part of my process at the moment and will serve me in ways I might not be able to recognize till after the fact.

But really … patience??? Bah! Humbug!

carol edan said...

Working in this way leads to so many different paths to take! Just listened to a Nicholas Wilton video on just this subject. https://www.art2life.com/2019/12/08/what-is-your-art-telling-you-nicholas-wilton-with-jennie-oppenheimer/
I see animals and figures an archaeological field of opportunities.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

oh my gosh, I'm fascinated, Carol, that you see animals and figures! … I see none, even with your having paved the way to the possibility!!!

Post a Comment