Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Slapstick 12/6/17

A favorite story:

When my son Jay was maybe 14 or so, I dropped him off at a local fishing hole one evening. On my way home I was aware of the many twists and turns my train of thought took as I drove, and I wondered where Jay's thoughts might meander while he fished. When I picked him up I asked.

Mom: Jay, what kinds of things did you think about while you were fishing?

Jay: Fishing.

Mom: Well, yeah, but what else did you think about?

Jay:  I studied the surface of the water to see where fish might be.

Mom: But what else?

Jay: Fishing.

I was incredulous.

---

When I paint, every now and then I experience that same grace of focus and flow. I pick up my fishing pole and study the surface of the water to see where the fish might be.

I had a few such moments today.

Hearing My Inner Voice Over the Cacophony
4x5"; acrylic, grease pencil, and collage on paper,
mounted on card stock
abstract
2017


Favorite orientation?




10 comments:

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Jay was in flow! I also get that sometimes while painting, and also while doing yardwork. The perfect act of presence. Favorite orientation? Number 2, vertical. Love!

carol edan said...

It's wonderful to get in the zone! you are there painint and nothing else matters.Love that time! My fav is the also vertical but the last one. I love the upward movement. Love this series!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jay WAS in flow! I was totally gobsmacked at the time. Thanks for the vote on #2. It's fun to see what different beholders are drawn to.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I am loving this series also—it's perhaps the most engaging and organically magnetic I've painted. Love getting the votes on favorite orientation. I think I will not sign any pieces in this series on the front, thereby leaving the option for collectors to choose their directionality of preference.

Simone said...

I'm glad you were in a flow! I love the small pieces of printed paper!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'm glad for flow each and every time! The print collage is fun, isn't it? Additionally so because it comes from a publication at Landmark school where Dave and I have a long and active (Dave works there) connection.

Sheila said...

Love that story, and what you have added here. I like the last one. There seems to be upward and forward movement.
Also I see an abstracted face.Triangular red lips, face with a black, I mean dark not bruised, eye. Wearing a tall brown hat. Gives me a spiritual feeling, a wise man/woman. An elder. maybe it is the season influencing that. Love this!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Well, I am just totally loving that I am painting cubist faces without even knowing so. I literally could not ask for better in my current daily painting practice! Thanks for your super feedback and superhero vision, Sheila.

carol edan said...

I now can see the face!

Sheila said...

Cool Carol ;)

Post a Comment