Friday, June 1, 2018

Simple and Magical

Lewis Noble's approach to painting captivates me.

I head to my studio today eager to tear up the postcard on which I made a quick paint sketch yesterday, in order to collage bits of it to the quick paint sketch I made on the Core Values patch I'm revising.

Looks so simple and magical when Lewis Noble tears up one sketch and collages it to another sketch, all to visually compelling and delightful effect.

Ha ha ha!

I just have to laugh when I feel nervous before I even make the first tear!

I hesitate.

I hem and haw.

What am I so afraid of?

Eventually, I commit one piece of collage paper to my Core Values patch with glue.

And then freeze.

Again.

I spend forever moving pieces of collage this way and that, hugely indecisive, not seeing placements that sing to me.

Simple and magical???

Not so much.

But, such a fascinating puzzle to work out.

newest patch
new patch in bigger picture
work in progress
working title: Core Values

8 comments:

carol edan said...

What an interesting approach to collage! Thanks! Love the marble effect you have achieved! Soothing with spots of excitement! Bravo for your courage!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for your 'marble-effect' descriptor, and for your observation of 'soothing with spots of excitement.' Your feedback contributes to keeping me alive and growing as an artist.

Yes, an interesting approach to collage; I find Noble's videos fascinating and instructive.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Whoa! Thanks for the video! He is incredible! Yep, he makes it look easy. Your piece looks ethereal! Hemming and hawing...what we do when we try something new. It's a sign we are headed in the right direction when we're nervous, don't you think?

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Fun, that video, I agree, and an invitation for sure.

Ethereal. Great word. This piece as delicate, light, and vaporous to me, especially as I step away from up close and personal.

You got me thinking about ether as the root word of ethereal, a think I don't recall having thunk before. I have not-so-pleasant memories of having ether as an anesthetic for three childhood procedures!

Thank you for your outlook on nervousness, Jen—considerably more self-compassionate than my take on it!

Simone said...

Thanks for the link to the video of Lewis Noble. Just saw bits and pieces of it, have stored the link in Evernote for later watching. Fascinating indeed!

Isn't it interesting how these simple things like tearing something up and moving it around can already be so freezing? I think that's the nice thing of collage: to get used to things torn apart, and then be surprised when something unexpected happens. I lately have worked quite a bit with newspaper scratches with paint on it (that I used for protecting my table). Completely worthless material, nothing beautiful about it. Makes it easier to tear it apart and try something, because it's not so pretty to start with.

LOVE your experiments!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, so glad you saw this experiment since it involves tearing and rearranging as you do so often. I appreciate your comments about 'freezing'—part of what made it hard to tear this particular postcard of paint was that I liked it so much just as it was. Using 'completely worthless' pieces of newspaper with paint on them would probably free me up considerably! Thank you for cheering me on : )

Sheila said...

Love the soft, gentle variations. Welcoming :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Speaking of welcoming, welcome back, Sheila! I've missed you. It's fun to have your feedback here a month after my posting—sweet to revisit the engagement I had with this piece in its making, and to reflect on the journey since. I know you've had much going on at your end in recent weeks, and I'm hoping you have some soft and gentle going on now.

Post a Comment