Thursday, September 3, 2015

Matins

At family camp, I usually get up before most others and walk down to Mem Lodge porch to sit on a wicker-seated rocker to watch the sun rise. It is in this location that I most often experience at a gut level the earth's turning rather than the sun's rising. Takes my breath away every time.

I used a reference photo from Takodah to trigger my memory of one of this year's sunrises. I used a photo of a painting by Anne Wood to nudge my painting hand and mind into a creative space. I blocked in shapes and colors with both photos upside down. Then I turned the photos and my gessobord 180˚ for adjustments and flourishes.

Good morning!

Morning, Mem Lodge Porch
6x6", acrylic on gessobord
skyscape
2015


9 comments:

Joany Kendra said...

Love your ritual of watching the sun rise at Mem. Lodge, love the firey look of the sun. Good morning, what will this day bring forth?

Unknown said...

Oh how lovely.......this one takes my breath away a little bit...

dotty seiter: now playing said...

A fun part of watching the sun rise at Takodah is that when I come out of my cabin wiping sleep from my eyes I can often see the sun peeking through the trees but, after I walk down the hill, the earth has to keep turning before I can see the sun "rise" from Mem Lodge porch. This day will bring forth a chance to "live that the sunset may find you worthy His gifts to hold."

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Part of what might be taking your breath away is that *I* took away the railing on Mem Lodge porch that obstructs the view across Cass Pond!

Joany Kendra said...

I love that line you just used from that song. I felt something holy when I looked at your painting.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'm glad Takodah's morning hymn touched you, as it does me, and resonated with this painting of a Takodah sunrise.

Unknown said...

Hahaha! Brilliant!

Unknown said...

And ditto Joany's comment of feeling something holy when she looks at this painting...

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Again and again I am awed by the mystery and magic of pushing some goop around on a surface and bumping into the holy.

Post a Comment