Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Up the Dirt Lane

For three mornings, this was my practice: walk up the main dirt lane of Monhegan Island from my cottage to artist Judy's with complete sensory delight in early morning sun and early morning air; paint and talk and observe and ask questions and stumble along with brush in hand on the big tarp-covered deck in summer’s full glory, barefoot, with salt air and the sun's keen warmth kissing my skin; and two or so hours later walk part-way back down the lane to meet my dad for coffee at the Black Duck Emporium

on the way to Judy's
on the way to Judy's
on the way to Judy's
on the way to Judy's

I intentionally brought not one single supply other than a pad of Canson paper, opting to step out of my usual habits and away from my default comfort zone. 

I landed precisely in my discomfort zone. 

I felt awkward, herky-jerky, at sixes and sevens. But I got some paint on paper. 


some paint on paper
some paint on paper

8 comments:

carol edan said...

WOW! Love those photos! Feels almost that I am walking with you! Getting out of your comfort zone really produced some gorgeous free work. I have the feeling of "here I am now" " in the moment" " who cares". Especially love the orange painting. Don't touch it leave it it's making it's statement!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, wow! Thank you for your feedback about the 'here I am now' nature of what I put on paper. That's exactly what it is.

Sometimes that kind of painting feels 'right' in the acutal creating—expressive, freeing. These … not so much; I felt mostly uncertainty and internal discomfort as I wielded my brushes.

I like the possibility that the rusty orange one is done!

Simone said...

Your post gives me ideas to keep my artist life ALIVE! Your art retreat sounds SO wonderful!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone—yay! so glad my post triggered ideas to keep your artist life ALIVE! Your posts do the same for me : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Bravery! Fierceness! Wild abandon! And paint on paper. All the makings of some truly boundary-busting art. Bravo!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, thanks! I appreciate the recipe you've identified here!

Joany Kendra said...

Loved the photos you included showing the backdrop of your vacation studio. The purple painting looks like a (beautiful) foreshadowing of Hurricane Dorian!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The backdrop to my vacation studio was SO sweet, I have to say!

Laughing about the foreshadowing of Dorian! When we got off the bubble of our days on the island, I heard mumblings about Dorian and didn't even know what was being talked about, let alone that forecasters had already been talking for days.

Post a Comment