Saturday, June 11, 2016

Refreshment

Lonnnnnnnng drive notwithstanding, traveling to a new location away from home for a week is so refreshing. Dave and I arrived in Nova Scotia yesterday afternoon and began exploring our new world near Lunenburg.

This morning, I painted my first souvenir. So much fun to set up a makeshift studio in front of two large windows overlooking the Atlantic, in a light-filled spacious room, on a sunny warm June morning, with a blank canvas in front of me and little to no idea of what I would paint.

I went with my impulse to capture from memory, and through the lens of impression, a scene from a sunset walk from last evening.

I used canvas board for the first time in ages. I like the water-color-like feel of this painting, and its feeling like a sketch.

I've signed it, named it. But, really, I don't know if it will stand as is or if I will return to it.

I do love painting as a way to take a vacation right into my body and then back out again.

establishing the bones, work in progress
Feltzen South, First Day
6x6", acrylic on canvas board
abstract
2016



2 comments:

Sheila said...

Beautiful work Dotty :) Love this dreamy scene.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Sheila. Painting on this vacation feels very different from two previous vacations when I was painting MUCH more representationally. I'm trusting the process. Exploring with curiosity.

Post a Comment