Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Embracing Unsteady

I have a 9 x 12" Cachet sketchbook. No memory of when or why I purchased it. I can see that I filled about 5 of its pale gray pages with notes and thought exercises two and a half years ago following the lead of an artist I'd discovered online. I don't think I purchased the sketchbook for that purpose, though, and I jumped ship on those exercises in less than a week.

Starting in July of this year, I began painting in the sketchbook.

I like painting in a sketchbook currently; I like having the work become a spiral-bound visual diary. I feel a little more experimental and exploratory painting in a sketchbook than on stand-alone substrates.

Though not experimental and exploratory enough, asserts an inner voice.

Enough that I am wildly unsteady on my feet, I retort.

Perfect.



working title:
She Wobbles on Shoes With Tall Heels
9 x 12"; acrylic, ink, oil pastels, and watercolor chalks
on paper
abstract floral
2022


6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am trying to work in a sketch book but it is not my favorite way to paint. I love your blue/ Violet painting. Also like the touches of red.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Ann, I've never before settled into working in sketchbooks either. Not my favorite way to paint. But, suddenly, for however long it lasts, the sketchbook is turning out to be the catalyst I need. Love that you took note of the touches of red.

carol edan said...

Most of my sketchbooks aren't strong for real paint. Paper to light. Love how you accented with the use of black.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The paper in my sketchbook isn't overly sturdy either. I gessoed before painting this piece and that helped. By the time I finished my layers, the page was thicker and had more heft!! What is coming across on screen as black is actually hunter green, a color I'm often drawn to. I think it served this piece well—glad it appealed to you, too!

Sheila said...

I admire many artists who use journals or sketch books. I have never stuck with it. But I'd love to have the habit. This is gorgeous beyond words, Dotty! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'll have to report again in a few months about my journal journey. I'm only about 5-6 pages in and already I've been sidetracked by a series that needed different paper! Thank you for your 'gorgeous beyond words' response to this piece, fellow flower painter : )

Post a Comment