Saturday, October 10, 2020

NY (1)

When I eat outdoors, as has been the case for both breakfast and lunch thus far today, I eat al fresco

When I paint outdoors, as has also been the case today, I paint en plein air.

When I put my iPhone down on a picnic table outdoors, as has further been the case today, I end up with a phone covered with a big glob of pine pitch—¡qué desastre!

I am away from home, staying at a small secluded rustic cabin on 45 acres of otherwise undeveloped land. My cleaning-supply resources are limited.

Dawn is the bird cleaner of choice in oil spills but pine pitch just thumbs its nose at Dawn Ultra brand dishwashing liquid.

Refuses to yield to 719 Walnut Avenue brand Ocean Mist liquid hand soap.

Laughs at Simple Green brand all-purpose spray cleaner.

Scoffs at Fantastik brand Scrubbing Bubbles heavy-duty all-purpose spray cleaner.

But Walnut Creeek brand 100% vegetable oil cleans my phone up easy peasy and has it like new in no time! Vegetable oil! Who knew?

I've brought with me on this getaway some 6x6" paintings done years ago on gessobord. I plan to paint over them this week, making new starts of some sort. That's it. Cover 'em up in one way or another and see what I do with them once I return home. 

First gessobord, in progress:








6 comments:

carol edan said...

That new floral is amazing! Unconstrained,free, bright, and positive! The fall must be all around in all its glory! Enjoy!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The photo of the 'new floral' is a detail of the piece, a piece that in its entirety says not much to me beyond messy ugly middle but I set out to be loose, unconstrained, and free, and that is what I was (so free that I set my phone in pine pitch without knowing it till I picked it up and got the pitch all over my hands as weel!). No matter where this piece goes, it will have a rich history!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

I am laughing and nodding at your phone debacle! Oil is a surprising remedy for unexpected pitchy-ness. And LOVE seeing what you are doing with your small gesso-board! Have a lovely time in NY. xo

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Oh my gosh, the phone debacle/miracle! Pine pitch is a resistant force to be reckoned with and, we're realizing, there is no shortage of it here where we are playing at our little cabin in the middle of nowhere. But, as with a painting, take a step, see where it takes you, take another step …

Sheila said...

To fearlessness and mess making! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I'll drink to that, Sheila!

Post a Comment