Sunday, October 25, 2020

Books and Bookmarks: Prologue

Re Books:

The year I am in second grade, I leave Dick, Jane, and Sally behind in the pages of the primers of first grade and read my first full-length chapter book, The Happy Hollisters by Jerry West. I perch myself in an upholstered chair in our living room in Cranford, NJ, curl my legs up into the chair, remove the illustrated dust jacket so my hands are in direct contact with the nubby, faux-leather, red book cover, open to the first page of chapter one, and I am gonePete, Pam, Ricky, Holly, Sue, and I have a mystery to solve. 

Do not get in our way. 

For any reason.

Several decades and nearly 4000 books later, I have not stopped reading.

To my delight, I discover today that the happy Hollisters have their own website, where I see the copywriting that promises to turn your young reader into a lifelong reader—truth in advertising there, I tell ya!



Re bookmarks:

What did I use as a bookmark when I read The Happy Hollisters? Perhaps a bookmark provided by the Weekly Reader Book Club? Couldn't tell you. 

Over the years, though, I've become increasingly particular about the bookmarks I use. No longer for me the torn scrap of paper, the wrinkled grocery receipt, the postmarked business envelope. Now I paint my own bookmarks, and one of the exquisite pleasures of starting a new book—an exquisite pleasure in its own right—is turning to my collection to select the bookmark that announces itself to be just the right one, with just the right je ne sais quoi element to pair it with the book at hand. The bookmark is a vital part of the experience.


from my collection


8 comments:

carol edan said...

You never cease to amaze! I recently made some hand made book marks from some paintings that I wanted to cut up. Brought them as gifts at a get together with my artist friends and they were delighted. Keep painting and reading!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

I remember the book that took me down the path of reading.... The Moonball! And thanks to your post, I found a copy on etsy just now and ordered it for my own two hands.

Because I have some of these Dotty bookmarks, and they are THE BEST! I have officially become a bookmark snob. Only these, made by you, nothing else will do! xo

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Fun to hear that you recently made some hand-painted bookmarks yourself : )

Reading, painting, doesn't get any better!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Isn't it funny the ways in which we become snobs? I am not fussy about all manner of things, but then up pops a pocket of undeniable snobbery, and there's just no denying it.

I am honored and delighted to have you cherish my bookmarks as you do. Thank you, Jen!

Joany Kendra said...

I vividly remember your avid reading and had such awe that you could read a whole book in just one day! I first experienced the feeling of not being able to put a book down until I read “101 Dalmatians” in third grade.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

101 Dalmations! It'd be fun to see a list of first-book-I-couldn't-put-down titles from friends, colleagues, neighbors, doctors, etc!

Sheila said...

So fun, so delightful, so inspiring! xoxox

dotty seiter: now playing said...

so so so happy to see you here : )

Post a Comment