Monday, June 1, 2020

On My Nightstand, on My Easel (15)

On my nightstand

You've perhaps noticed
how window plants
wind and grow
toward the light,
pressing their leaves
against the pane.
This turning toward the light
has a scientific name:
heliotropism.
Jung spoke of a 
'human heliotropism.'
The True Self
seeks the light,
winding and growing
toward realization,
pressing against
the windowpane
of consciousness.

Sue Monk Kidd, When the Heart Waits


On my easel


heliotropic work in progress, 36 days in, 5/24/20
24 x 48" canvas

6 comments:

carol edan said...

Just before leaving for workshop! This could be finished! It is so striking in its simplicity. Love your quote... will try to take it with me to start the day!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Workshop! Such a gift! I can't even imagine at this point, still sequestered as I am. Thanks for your affirmation of the striking simplicity, Carol. And glad the quoted lines touched you.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

oooooh yes and YES! Winding and growing...pressing against the windowpane. And holy mackerel this piece is incredible - Carol is right. It could be finished right now! This composition calls me...

dotty seiter: now playing said...

yes and YES to your yes and YES, Jen! Gracias!

All of us pressing against the windowpane seeking the light in so many ways.

gosh, you and Carol have me seeing this piece in a new light (speaking of light!)— finished right now! whoa. it isn't but i will now be more mindful of hanging onto simplicity.

Sheila said...

Such soft, warm light. This is wonderful as is. Delightful!! xoxox

dotty seiter: now playing said...

oh, so glad you feel the soft warm light, Sheila. LOL that everyone who's commented here has said this piece could be done, as is!

Post a Comment