Thursday, June 18, 2020

Is There a Purpose?

Artist Jane Davies recently posted a conversation in response to a question that came her way about the value of art if it isn't practical or doesn't make a salable piece—if, for example, as Jane had done, one was making small simplified works on paper with self-created 'rules' just to get ideas moving by keeping hands and eyes doing something in the studio. The question behind the question was: what to do with all those impractical unsalable pieces of art?

So many thoughts and ideas I have in response to that question but, for today, only this:

Keep them! Keep them all! You never know what might become of one of those pieces! Or when!

Part of the fun of this postcard, made before Jane posted the aforementioned conversation at her blog, is that the pieces come from exercises I did several years ago while taking an online class from Jane! What if I had pitched them because they weren't 'practical' or 'salable'? No thank you!

Deep Inner Space, Extraordinary Knowing
4 x 6" postcard; acrylic and pencil on drawing paper, mounted on cardboard
abstract
2020

4 comments:

carol edan said...

I found out who the culprit is? My fickle Wi-FI on my tablet! Sometimes it works without fault and then it kicks in. This morning after commenting I pressed the button, all gone and also my signal. The conversation is interesting and also asks lots of other questions. Is all art sold "art" and all art not sold "not art"? And that question what's the point, I will never be Picasso? Bravo Process! Bravo Postcard Art!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for joining the conversation! Yes, yes, yes: bravo, process!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Woot! Here's to hoarding our bits and pieces! And to the bright energy bursting forth from this postcard. Whoa! HAPPY!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Colors and energy here are way more natural to me than neutrals! And hoarding bits and pieces is TOTALLY up my alley! Thanks for stopping by for some bright-energy-bursting happy, Jen : )

Post a Comment