Sunday, March 1, 2020

Blast from the Past

During my junior year in high school when the Beatles and Stones were rocking the pop music world, I simultaneously held a soft spot for the three-part harmony of the Letterman as they sang sentimental tunes such as Love Is a Many-Splendored Thing.

That tune surfaced today as I reflected on the history of my recent painting below. I found myself singing the following in full voice, with the imagined swell of several violins in accompaniment: art is a many-layered thing!

Once on a High and Windy Hill
7 x 9"; acrylic, pencil, color sticks, collage, and oil pastel on a book page
abstract floral
2020

History of a many-layered thing:

  

 











6 comments:

carol edan said...

Thanks for the link, brought many memories! Wow, so many layers and that kept track! Blooms for spring!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

The first 'layer'—which probably had a few layers of its own, was originally the 'end' product for one of my first paintings in Virginia. Weeks later, one thing led to another and another and another, and I landed somewhere else entirely. Glad the song link brought back memories!

Sheila said...

luscious Layer love! This is the post that keeps on giving! I love this at different stages, and then bam! Gorgeous!
You sent me down the rabbit hole. I know that song from somewhere... a movie...what movie? Probably from several, I love old movies. Ahh! It was the opening to Grease. LOL :) Danny and Sandy having fun on the beach. Haha. Whew! That would have bugged me all day. Haha :)

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

I never tire of watching your process...your fearless vandalizing of your own paintings, which results in exquisite depth and draws my eye endlessly in, in in...

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, LOL! I just KNEW as I wrote that the link to "Many-Splendored" would trigger a memory in you!

Thanks for loving the layers : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, I rarely FEEL fearless in my vandalizing of my own paintings, but I vandalize anyway and am grateful for your celebrating of the process. Happy to know you are drawn in in in …

Post a Comment