Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Processing Plant

I am not a fan of processed food.

But the process of creating art? Can't get enough of it.

Love to watch process unfolding live as others paint, love videos of process, love seeing process photos, love the many stages of process in my own work.

Well, mostly I love the process in my own work.

My current salt marsh painting has involved a gosh-darned long but nonetheless engaging process, with multiple practical and artistic dilemmas needing resolution en route once I got clear about where it was heading.

Here's where things stand at the moment in the processing plant that I call my studio. I'm hoping to frame and display what has become two paintings. This will be an at-home job, using simple store-bought frames. The dilemma at this stage is the buckling and warping that resulted from my painting and collaging process.

The buckling and warping do not read as compelling captivating texture. They read as … buckling and warping.

Exhibit below, as seen from the back where it turns out, to my delight, that I can see archaelogical treasures from when this painting was a field of wildflowers.

But I digress.

buckled warped paper, backside of painting

The buckling and warping were front and center when I did a trial run of framing. Further, the mat board didn't lie flat against the paintings, thereby causing gaps and casting undesired shadows.

My first line of defense was to tap artist friend Jen Jovan for ideas. And so it was that I applied gesso to the backs of the paintings a few days ago, let them dry completely, and set up a press under which they continue to sit, in hopes that they will lie flat when released.

You know how some people feel agitated by light touch, preferring instead the weight and comfort of deep even pressure against their skin, a big solid bear hug? I hope my paintings are just like that.

paintings under makeshift paper press


4 comments:

carol edan said...

Had a real chuckle at your homemade press. I use heavy books sometimes when I do use wet media but that tip about gesso on the back... cool. Waiting to see how it works out.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for laughing and learning with me, Carol!

The tip about the gesso on the back was cool, I agree. Also made me pause to think perhaps I'd do well to gesso more of my paper work b/f I begin. Never even occurs to me!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

That PRESS! I am still laughing! Those warps and buckles cannot survive both the gesso and that PRESS! Brilliant.

Gesso is a marvelous fixer and straightener. Of course, I know this because I almost always forget to gesso the paper front and back first before I paint. Who has time for that? ha!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Well, exactly! I am way too impatient to gesso paper front and back—if I even think of it at all!

That PRESS! Grand fun, I have to say.

Post a Comment