Monday, October 15, 2018

Juxtaposition

The day before I went on vacation to Virginia and West Virginia, with all sorts of packing and other last-minute details and tasks crowding my every moment, I popped down to the basement to add a bath towel to the wash I'd just started.

Discovered an unfolding event. A jumbo-sized container of liquid laundry detergent had fallen to the floor, landing on and shattering its cap. I arrived to see a mess of concentrated (2x the power!) detergent spreading viscously onto and soaking through a piece of indoor-outdoor carpet, the 'lake' already larger than the circle I could make with my arms if I stretched them out.

Oh.

A welcome juxtaposition: making a card using a watercolor-turned-mixed-media exploration from my time on Mohegan Island in August. Sweet!

birthday card
4 x 5.5"; watercolor, acrylic pen, and water-soluble pastels on canvas paper,
mounted on card stock
abstract
2018
[gift]











8 comments:

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

A lake of powerful detergent! Ack!

An exploration in paint and more! YES!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Imagine, if you will, the infinitude of bubbles generated in the clean-up process, a process that took well over an hour when all was said and done!

I had fun 'cleaning up' this painting—accessorizing it simply with borders and framing it by mounting it on recycled brown paper cardstock.

Simone said...

A great birthday gift !

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Simone. For Meg's 40th : )

carol edan said...

Your basement floor must be really clean! Lovely card and great gift! Nice to see you back!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I used a spatula to get the lion's share of the thick detergent lifted from the piece of indoor-outdoor carpet and into a bowl, rolled up the carpet and took it out to the driveway, and hosed it and hosed it and hosed it till it wasn't bubbling up too much. Driveway's clean! I lifted what I could from the cement basement floor and went on vacation. There's plenty of residue there but I think I'll just put the carpet back over that spot and call it a day.

Thanks for your feedback, Carol, and for welcoming me back : )

Janet Bradish said...

Yikes Dotty! Love the card!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Janet. It really ended up pleasing my eye after all was said and done.

Post a Comment