Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Still Along for the Ride

To any of you still along for the ride and cheering me on: thank you.*

My thoughts as I put away my paints today:

• I have enough artistic sensibility to be able to identify many of the visual problems I've created;

• at the moment, I have next to no idea how to resolve them; and

• I have just (barely) enough stubbornness and curiosity to keep me from tossing in the towel.

where I stopped today; WIP

---
*I went outdoors to photograph today's progress and was suddenly aware of thrumming as I stood editing the image on my phone. Looked up to see a hummingbird hovering inches from my face and looking me in the eye. I'm taking that as a vote of confidence!




8 comments:

carol edan said...

Is that a collage piece or painted jar? This jar isn't as demanding as the previous one was... my eye goes to the floating flowers more... and if the flowers are floating, do they really need a jar?

Simone said...

The fact that the flowers are now floating in the air give a special sense of magic to it. It makes me think of what the artists that pursued 'magical realism' did. It's funny, but since the flowers are doing something that they are not supposed to do (floating!), the picture is waking you up. What's going on here? Wonder what's the next stage (if there is one ;-))

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thanks for bringing your artist's eye to this stage of the process with comments and questions. Painted jar. I agree that this jar is less demanding and lets the eyes go to the flowers. Said flowers are floating now but won't continue to do so.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, I thank you, too, for bringing your artist's eye to this stage of the process with comments and questions. I don't know if I've ever heard of magical realism before but that term and your description with reference to my painting-in-process, i.e. flowers are doing something they're not supposed to do (floating!) are perfect! I had the same reaction as you when I reached this stage—the magical realism woke me up, sharpened my senses, activated my curiosity!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Welcome back BLUE! (well, teal, but BLUE!) This has gone into the sci-fi abstract realm now...whoa. Surreal, even. I absolutely adore it.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, sci-fi abstract: two terms I NEVER thought would be attached to me in any way! Yet, here I am!

Glad the blue (well, teal, but BLUE) feels welcome; does to me, too. Much more welcome than the cobalt.

Thx!

Sheila said...

How awesome - your visitor. And this! Love the vase and the deep blue. Love what this is turning into Dotty :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Sheila. And, yes, awesome visitor!

Post a Comment