Sunday, May 13, 2018

Birthday Gifts

I set the bar way too high way too soon: When my dad turned 24 in 1950 I gave him the birthday gift of my own birth!

What to give him for his birthday this year on May 13, 2018?

More years than not, we bookmark our shared day with a father-daughter photo.

Bookmark, 1951:


Bookmark, 2018:



This year I'm further bookmarking our joint birthday with a handpainted bookmark. I love picturing my dad's going off to the library, as he often does, to get a new book to read, and then keeping his place in the book with this little bit of love from me.

Captured by Gratitude
5x1.75"; acrylic, ink, collage, and pastels on card stock
abstract
2018
[gift]


10 comments:

Sheila said...

HaPpY JoYfUl Birthday Dotty!!! And to your Dad as well :) May you continue to be Blessed in the year ahead :) Sweet photos.

carol edan said...

Happy Happy day!How wonderful to have the same 🎂 What a beautiful bookmark. He must have quite a collection!

Simone said...

Hi Dotty! Congratulations! Maybe you have told me before that you and your dad have joint birthdays, I'm sorry I forgot! I love the photo that was taken from you and your dad. I'm deeply impressed by how he lives his life.

And your bookmark is beautiful! What a wonderful way of adding little bits of love in his life!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Sheila! 'Twas a sweet birthday (a day trip to Maine with two of my sisters and a nephew). Now it is the day after. And that is all I'll say about THAT.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for the happy-day wishes, Carol! Yes, totally awesome to share a bday with my dad.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks so much, Simone. I do love to add little bits of love in my dad's life. He has a huge stack of my hand-painted postcards, several cards, a few paintings, and now a bookmark. Loved making the bookmark. I borrowed some veiling techniques from you : )

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

Sweetness!!!!!! You've grown a bit taller since 1950! ha ha! How lovely that you still have your dad...it's so great that you share a love of books and art and bookmarks!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

SO lovely that I have had my dad from day one forward ; )

Joany Kendra said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE this post and bookmark, LOVE LOVE LOVE the two of you!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! Knew you'd like this post : )

Post a Comment