Monday, April 30, 2018

Working

Twenty years ago, I read Studs Terkel's' sizable book, Working: People Talk About What They Do All Day and How They Feel About What They Do.

I've had a lifelong curiosity about what people do all day and how they feel about what they do.

Here's what I've done so far today: exercise in my Strongboard class at the Y; prepare food; post and comment on Instagram; prepare billing for clients; plan meals for the coming week and write a grocery list; respond to comments at my blog; prepare lessons for tutees; try and fail to order postage stamps on line (didn't know my password and had no success with the process of establishing a new one); meet with a friend for a coffee date during which we sat outdoors; meditate, also outdoors; write a postcard to my dad; partially clean up my email inbox; research local sustainable sources for nutritious meat; read an article about bone health; read several chapters in a young adult novel; and paint.

I moved yesterday's mark-making forward—selected a limited palette, painted with my fingers, blended colors directly on the canvas. While I painted I was all in, nothing else going on but the exquisite choreography of hand/eye/canvas/paint.

Next up: meeting with tutees.

Tomorrow: more interaction with this patch-in-progress.


11 comments:

Janet Bradish said...

Okay....I'm exhausted - how did you fit all that into one day?!? If I had accomplished half of the above I would have felt pretty darn good. And no I am not going to talk about my Monday. Loving these first layers - parts of the marks veiled and some painted out. Especially like the 'blue' against the orange and red. Looking forward to the next layer! (Love the new banner!)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Janet, hi! Was just thinking about you last evening, wondering what you're been up to in your studio. Do tell!

I think you might be surprised if you actually wrote down each little task to which you turn your attention between waking up and midafternoon.

Here's the real irony: for no reason I can identify I woke up in the middle of the night and landed in insomnia. Probably started my day today with only 4-4.5 hours of sleep under my belt. Oy.

Thanks for your feedback on this piece. I enjoyed getting it underway.

Thanks for noticing and appreciating my new banner.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

GAAAAAWK! I love LOVE this color combination!!!! And those black marks! EEEEK! I am squeaking over here! You are a mighty productive woman. I think I will put my feet up, sip tea and contemplate that.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Jen, your enthusiasm! Such a tonic!!! Thanks. The colors light me up, too.

Laughing at your responding to my busyness with antibusyness! But, I do have to say that it seems from where I SIT that you are a might productive woman yourself!

Sheila said...

Hello Old friend (banner). Love this Dotty. Love the deepest darks of that magenta, next to the warm earth and the clear blue water. And the wonderful marks... ancient and modern, cave dweller and tagger. Cool Dotty ;)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks for high fivin' your old friend, the banner! I do love that piece, both in its own artistic right and as a tangible memento of painting with my granddaughters. It feels like the perfect piece for my May banner. Thanks for the cool assessment of my mark making: cave dweller and tagger!

Joany Kendra said...

Jen, I’m also going to put my feet up, sip tea and contemplate all that she does!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

1. You're making me laugh, Joje.
2. I would LOVE it if you and Jen got together for a cup of tea with your feet up : )

carol edan said...

Wow, quite a day! Funny to remember all the little things that make up our days as we go along. Sometimes we think they are just repeating over and over but then something different surprises us. Like in painting, a new mark. and wow a difference! Love orange pink and turquoise.

carol edan said...

Maybe a virtual tea party!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Love your reflective thoughts here, Carol. Thank you. Lovin' the orange pink and turquoise myself : )

Post a Comment