Friday, April 6, 2018

Further Investigation

If my cursory online research is correct, one bit of the lexicon of Nova Scotia coastal poetry may read somewhat along these lines, like a science geek's jump rope song:

Arsenopyrite,
chalcopyrite,
dolomite,
ferberite,
galena, and
gold.

Greigite,
pyrite,
pyrrhotite, and
quartz.

Scheelite,
siderite,
sphalerite!

I follow a link to chalcopyrite (CuFeS2) to see what more I can learn. Chalcopyrite is typically found as equant to wedge-shaped pseudo-tetrahedral dispenoidal crystals, often modified by tetragonal scalenohedral faces.

No wonder I was bowled over!

How to capture such wonder in paint?, I wonder.

And so I continue to investigate, hoping to find a balance between dollops of representational detail and passages of intuitive expression, hoping to share the feeling of being part of this poem one afternoon.


patch in progress on Core Values grid-format work-in-progress

10 comments:

carol edan said...

That is one beautiful piece of stone! You can teach how capture WONDER!I love the splashes on the tape, maybe leave it on?

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, thank you! So glad you like what is developing here. Love that you love the splashes on the tape—having you say that was heart- and eye-opening.

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

WOW! I am gaga over this painting. I want to see it HUGE! Truly magical.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

woo hoo! Fun to be getting such favorable responses! Thank you, Jen. Maybe someday soon I'll do it HUGE. Just never know.

Magical: nothing better.

Sheila said...

LOVE the blues, LOVE the Dotty dots! Love the strength and dimension. Love the tongue twister rhythm and rhyme. Hard to believe this is tiny. It should be HUGE! :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Aren't those blues yummy? The colors were more subtle in Nova Scotia but had just as much impact. It's been a fun challenge as I develop this piece, as I say above, to explore my way towards a sweet spot between a measure of representation and the FEELING of being witness to this bit of the world that was at my feet.

You know where the Dotty dots come from!

Thanks for your nod to the tongue twister.

OK, OK, maybe I need to take another HUGE piece of foam core and make it a coastal chalcopyrite poem!

Thanks as always, for your keen eye and open heart, Sheila.

Janet Bradish said...

I want this bigger too!!! It would be a show stopper. The colour is wonderful - such a beautiful palette. You reward me when I look closer with the small bits of detail - thank you! I think you have captured the 'wonder' you express above in paint. Love your research and the resulting verse. From my viewpoint looks finished but I defer to you Dotty.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Yikes—another vote for bigger! Good thing I have more bigger, so to speak, available.

Janet, thanks for your feedback re the small bits of detail. I enjoyed developing those.

So glad to hear I've captured the wonder!

Fun to hear that from your viewpoint this piece looks finished. I know I'll make a few more tweaks, but I also know I am close to stopping.

Simone said...

I love the combination of representational and abstract painting. Makes me eager to see the Nova Scotia Coast!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Simone, thanks for this feedback. There is something about finding that place between representational and abstract that is very engaging, and seems to lead me to end places that I like.

The particular patch of Nova Scotia coast that I painted was spectacular to me. My eyes feasted on it.

Post a Comment