Thursday, January 4, 2018

Hunkered In

It's rare that the word susurration finds its way into my life. I've never used it.

But I might.

We've got a "powerful bomb cyclone" winter storm underway today (bomb cyclone??). Hour after hour, snow piles up outdoors.

Indoors I am cozy. Dry. Warm.

The wind has not been ferocious (nor perceptibly cyclonic) here but a steady background sussuration—a whispering, murmuring, and rustling—of winter wind keeps me company. A susurration and the intermittent thunk-and-scrape of snow plows. A January concert.

In my studio, I play again with yesterday's canvas because I don't like the wrapped edges painted black after all. In deference to my headache (now that's a bomb cyclone!), the main symptom of which currently is that I can't tolerate the discomfort of wearing my glasses, I work for only a short time and half-blind. I mix up some titanium white and bright aqua green and spread it over all the edges with my finger. Then I transform one edge with oil pastels.

Thunk, scrape, whisper.

Aaaaahhh.

edge detail
edge detail
edge detail

8 comments:

carol edan said...

Love learning new words with you. Susurration, definitely a new word for me. It would likely describe the sound of rain this morning when lingering in bed. Love the edge of the canvas and the detail also allows me to see the love textures. Lovely springlike colors! Stay safe warm and dry!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Susurration: probably learned for a h.s. vocab quiz a few decades ago. I'm guessing it might have got attention in my education somewhere for its being onomatopoeic. Truth to tell, your rain probably fits the word better than my storm wind, but it was the word that bubble up yesterday and wanted some air time.

Glad you enjoyed seeing the canvas edge; it was tricky to photograph.

We didn't lose power, so this snow event has thus far been little more than a housebound break from usual routines. Major storm surge flooding in many locations here (we're just minutes from the coast).

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

I'm a huge fan of paintings flowing over the sides to the edges. Love what you're doing. Love your dedication, regardless of bomb cyclones and headaches. You, sweet Dotty, are the real deal. An artist through and through.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I like paintings flowing over the sides also, so it's kinda funny I veered from that originally with this one. Today I'll return to the remaining three sides and in short order this 'candy-coated canvas,' as Sheila called it, will perch on my dresser again.

THANK YOU for your pronouncement of my being the real deal, an artist through and through! Who knew? Not me, for soooooooo many years!

Joany Kendra said...

I loved Jennifer’s comments, Dotty. You are and have always been the real deal! :-)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Joje, thank you! As I've told you before, having you as the next one in the sister lineup, looking to me to see how a life might be lived, and seeing strengths in me that I did not, has helped me live a larger life than I might have without your support. Speaking of which, I had cause a few days ago to look back at early posts here at my blog, and I was appreciative all over again and even moreso than at the time for your comments and encouragement. You were a catalyst for me. Huge gift.

Sheila said...

Yes, I do like this better. Wrapped in playfulness. Good call Dotty. So glad you are having a mild cyclone bomb event ;)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila. Still have to finish the other three sides but I'm glad to have made the change. I like your perspective of my having wrapped this painting in playfulness. I may still fiddle a little with the painting itself, also. Or not.

Post a Comment