Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Slapstick 12/26/17

I've posted dozens of painting experiments over the past few years, and mostly I've liked them—in large part because it's hard for me to let go of a painting and consider it 'finished' until I like it!

This one doesn't call out to me but, what the heck, I'm posting it anyway.

Internal success: slap it down, let it stick >>> slapstick!

Truth to tell, there are two bits here that appeal to me visually: pale blue scribbles on top of black, textural white lines that could be waves washing onto shore.

Even so, I might throw this one in the trash bin which is surprisingly difficult for me. It'll be a true letting go, if I do.

Started here:


Stopped here:

4x5"; acrylic, India ink, collage, and pastel on paper
abstract
2017



10 comments:

carol edan said...

I just love the drama of this piece. Love the diagonal composition. It has a definite wintery feeling but the warmth creeping through!
Hope you are enjoying your holidays with family!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

I agree with Carol...the diagonal composition is dreamy, and the wintery feeling - yes!!

Sheila said...

There is a storm coming, and is that the Brooklyn Bridge getting blasted by waves? Very dramatic :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Carol, I'm appreciating your feedback re drama, diagonal composition, and wintry feel with warmth creeping through.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Jen. More nods for diagonal composition and wintry feeling!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Storm front moving in? Brooklyn Bridge getting blasted by waves? Drama, wave blasts, and storms, oh my! Thanks, Sheila : )

Carolyn said...

Glistening ice falls on crystaline morning in the high mountains, beckoning ice climbers to scale that lovely diagonal??? No to the trash bin!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Hey, Carolyn! Happy new year! And thank you for weighing in.

One of the best gifts of my blog and of Instagram is getting feedback that allows me to bump again and again into the wonderful subjectivity of what and how each of us perceives the world around us.

LOVE your take on this painting! Ice climber that I am not, I didn't see what you see. No trash bin for this little piece after all : )

Katie Jeanne said...

I hope you don't mind if I give you some advice. Never throw art away, and keep painting until you like it. Think of what you have here as a layer, and keep going.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Happy to receive advice—thanks for chiming in! Truthfully, it is only very very rarely that I throw any of my art away, sharing, as I do, your thinking that what I have at any given moment is a layer. I can always add more layers until I like what I've created : )

Post a Comment