Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Slapstick 12/12/17

I have 'rules' for my Slapstick inquiry.

And gosh-darned if I don't break 'em almost every time I set foot in my studio.

Not by design or out of I'll-show-you contrariness but because, I think, as I reflect back on the most recent series of six pieces, I gave myself a starting place and then trusted the emerging process.

The trusting wasn't conscious.

But I think I yielded in some way, let myself take one step and then another and another whether rule-compliant or not.

I created a launch pad, I kept showing up, my art met me halfway, and our collaboration unfolded—unevenly and with jockeying for position, but nonetheless unfolding through some mysterious force of its own.

To happy effect in this case.


   
  




8 comments:

carol edan said...

Yes, I agree, art has some powerful force of its own. Love the more amorphous forms and the hints of lines or was that the star of the six?

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

trusting the process. you are lightyears ahead of us all. go on with your bad self! I will watch with adoration. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Carol. The force be with us!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

As a gal who was 18 in 1968, how could I be other than the rule-breaking, authority-questioning baby boomer that I am?!!

I am always grateful when gut overrides mind when I paint.

Thanks for your powerful cheerleading, Jen!

Sheila said...

Can I say that I love the beginning? One of your best collections yet! You continue to amaze and inspire Dotty ;) Rock on wild child!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I like the start also! Maybe I'll explore a series of that sort.

Thanks for the affirmation of this particular collection. One of my faves to date, I have to say.

Janet Bradish said...

Such a great series, Dotty. Agree with Jen - you are light years ahead of us...'trusting the process' is not something you can teach and here you are knocking it out of the park. Love the start - could be the beginning of a star chart mapping new constellations or perhaps alla Davinci drafting a sculpture or a new 'machine'. So glad you are sharing this work and looking forward to your next series!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Wow. I can't tell you how grateful I am for the support right now. While I generally do trust the unfolding of art as a (still new) centerpiece in my life, it is not without GREAT discomfort at times. This series was a gift. It fell into my studio and I ran with it. As I said to Sheila, I loved the start also. At the same time. It didn't feel complete. I'll probably try additional starts of this sort and see where I land.

Post a Comment