Friday, December 22, 2017

Simple Gifts

This painting got its start two years ago (two years!) when I taped a sturdy piece of paper to a cafeteria tray and covered it with collage bits torn from a variety of magazine pages featuring a range of greens and a variety of patterns. It sat taped to that tray until today.

I found myself humming the plainspoken Shaker hymn "Simple Gifts" by Elder Joseph Bracket as I painted late this afternoon.

'Tis the gift to be simple
'Tis the gift to be free
'Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be
And when we find ourselves in the place just right
It will be in the valley of love and delight.


Simple gifts in my studio:

• mixing up titanium white, phthalo blue red shade, and glazing medium,
• veiling and collaging negative space,
• scribbling with India ink, 
• coming down where I ought to be, in the place just right.


All Are Born Radiating Light
4.25x5.75"; acrylic, latex, India ink, collage, and oil pastel on paper,
mounted on card stock and tissue paper
abstract
2017



10 comments:

Joany Kendra said...

I LOVE THIS PICTURE!!!

carol edan said...

Lots of Christmas cheer! Dancing lights and scripting snow!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

gorgeous and festive!!!!! Happy Christmas!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Yes! The scripting snow especially delighted me as I painted : )

Thanks for stopping by, Carol : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Jen. Happy Christmas to you, too!!! We're in Scranton, PA, this weekend with my daughter and her family—Scranton is the halfway point between our MA and VA homes. Sharing Christmas and relaxing. The best.

Joany Kendra said...

I LOVE THIS PAINTING... and the title, too!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Yay! Thanks, Joje. I had such a lovely time playing with this one. Especially fun: scribbling the branches and twigs, and the fact that the 'snow' on the ground is torn from pages of a Takodah Memory Book : )

Sheila said...

Love the scribbles, the joy that is overflowing in this.
Joyous little Christmas tree,
Shiny bulbs and twinkly lights,
what a gift - such pure delight!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Sheila. Yup, lots of joy here. Many times, my paintings start out fairly carefree, intuitive, impulsive. Then get increasingly intentional, detailed, fussy as they move along to completion. This one swung back and forth throughout, a fun adventure.

areebashaikh said...

Personalised baby gifts I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks!

Post a Comment