Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Keeping the Barns Full / Q&Q Cut-Up #7

A passage in the middle of the lightest of carefree novels, Miss Buncle Married, by D.E. Stevenson, jumped right off the page and into my artist's heart recently, carrying with it depth and resonance in abundance—enough and to spare:

…  the truth is that authors have no idea at all how or where they garner their harvest. The harvest is garnered by some busy imp that watches and garners daily, hourly, keeping the barns full, so that when the day of threshing comes, and the wheat is winnowed from the chaff, there shall always be enough and to spare for the making of the bread.

I actually do have an idea where my busy imp harvested a handful here and a handful there, keeping my barns full so I could make a little bread today. Thank you, Betty Krause, Jane Davies, and Simone Nijboer, for planting seeds.

For Five Minutes She Suspended Judgment of the World and Fell Silent
4x5"; acrylic, ink, collage, and oil pastel on unstretched canvas,
mounted on card stock
abstract landscape
2017
[gift]

10 comments:

carol edan said...

Thanking YOU for your many seeds. They have grown grown and grown and will continue. What a beautiful title! Reminds me of the creation! I am presently taking a course about the Bible on EDX.
https://courses.edx.org/courses/course-v1:IsraelX+0109434x+3T2017/course/ hope it opens!

Simone said...

THANK YOU, DOTTY!!!!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

You are most welcome, Simone!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

The title!!!!!! I want to know HOW she suspended judgment!!! I really like the graphic separation of sections in this piece...and that voluminous, textured sky! WOW!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

She suspended judgment—and five minutes was the longest EVER—by first falling into presence. Or maybe she fell asleep. I forget which.

Thanks for your visual feedback, Jen! The sky was fun; I accentuated the texture by running an oil pastel over the surface which really brought it to life.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

I replied first thing this morning to your lovely comments, Carol, but just now I've discovered that my response didn't publish. Not sure where I went wrong, but thank you for your thoughts. I'm happy that the title caught your eye and I love that it reminds you of the creation!

Cool that you're taking a course about the Bible. I was just the other day remembering that I took a Comparative Religions course in college … about which I remember not a single thing!

Sheila said...

Flight still on my mind. Over the hills, city streets below, misty sky above. Lovely. It could be anywhere, and is. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Sheila, first of all, welcome home! I've missed you!

Second, THANK YOU for your take on this painting. Your words (a) shift how I see this piece in a delightful way and (b) are a poem in themselves.

Katie Jeanne said...

I've often wondered what type of books you read, since I know you read so many. I'm going to look this one up. From the quote, it sounds so interesting.

I'm getting a kick out of your painting titles, and this painting..ahh!! It speaks to me, loudly, for some reason. Maybe it's because I live in a state that grows wheat..for miles and miles, that's all the eye can see sometimes.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

1. Miss Buncle Married isn't typical of what I read, but I did enjoy it for its light magical tidiness. If you're going to read one from the series, get Miss Buncle's Book (that's the title).

2. I'm currently reading Flight Patterns by Barbara Kingsolver, How to Raise an Adult by Julie Lythcott-Haims, and I recently read Barkskins by Annie Proulx and Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry.

3. Thanks for the nod to my painting titles.

4. Where do you live? I wasn't picturing you in a wheat-growing state!

Post a Comment