Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Beggars Still on Foot

Feels as though houseguests just left, or I just finished a book, or I just emptied the dishwasher and put the kitchen to bed for the night. Something has ended—a visit, or a story, or a day's work.

Or two months' worth of working on a series of a dozen paintings.

Now, something new begins.

Yesterday I reported my intention to clean up my studio. Though I didn't say so, I also had the idea to both let a few days unfold without painting and to shift gears to a larger scale when I did pick up my brush again.

As the saying goes, if wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

As I say, hahahahahahahahaha!

In other words: (a) my studio remains riotously out of control, and (b) I started a new painting a few minutes ago—(c) a small one.

Felt great! I acted on impulse, worked quickly and for a brief time only, have no idea where I'll go with this.

work in progress



12 comments:

Janet Bradish said...

Glad you didn't clean up...too much! Now look where all that practice and spontaneity has taken you. What a great start Dotty - where will you go next!!?

carol edan said...

Yes a wonderful start. I see a landscape turned on its side now that opened it in the big computer. Love how you placed the pieces of cut script. Bet that was an interesting article about a new way to teach!

Lola (Jen Jovan) said...

you're in the groove! There's no stopping you now! Who needs tidy? I am on the edge of my seat waiting to see what's next...

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thank you, Janet.

I didn't clean up AT ALL!

This start was particularly satisfying. I'm happy I ran out of time to go further because that allows me to indulge my attachment to this layer until I get back to the studio.

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Carol.

Good eyes!—there IS a little landscape underneath, something I painted three years ago.

Placing the print collage was absorbing and fun. The article about a new way to teach was in my college alum magazine : )

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Evidently *I* don't need tidy! That said, I do find myself craving a tiny bit of law and order.

If you're on the edge of your seat, that makes two of us! Want to share a bag of popcorn?

Katie Jeanne said...

bahahahahaha!! You're such a rebel, Dotty!! I've always said that I spend hours making up "rules" for myself in my head, only to break every single one of them. Must be the impulsive, badass artist within at war with our sensible side, eh? :D

Simone said...

Hi Dotty,
Just love to see this new energy in the house!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Couldn'ta said it better myself, Katie!

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Thanks, Simone. It's fun to be heading somewhere new. And once again without a map : )

Sheila said...

Who needs a clean desk? Who needs a break from FUN? Loving this already with the happy bits of color and controlled chaos. :)

dotty seiter: now playing said...

Evidently *I* don't actually need tidy, since I go along day to day without!

As you know, this piece did not stay in the form featured above. But I liked it considerably just as it is above!

Post a Comment